PDA

View Full Version : What does Tin Look like in a ingot????

Superfly
02-25-2009, 03:26 AM
I need to see what tin looks like in a ingot. How much does a muffin ingot weigh???

Can you scratch tin with your fingernail?????

What are the characteristics f a muffin of tin?????

Thanks Jaime

montana_charlie
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Answering your questions will be almost as tough as explaining the difference between red and green to a person who is blind since birth.

I need to see what tin looks like in a ingot.
I don't have a picture for you, but you would really need a comparison shot of a lead ingot and a tin ingot cast from the same mould.
To describe the difference, try this...

You know how (when you go to the paint store) there are about twenty different shades of 'white paint'? Tin and lead are similarly similar, but they are 'silver' instead of white.

The lead has a look of silver as found in a chromed bumper, and there is this 'bluish or greyish wash' that is felt more than seen. Meanwhile tin has a 'whiter' silvery look...kinda like silver teapots and 'white gold' jewelry.

How much does a muffin ingot weigh???
Noticeably less than a lead ingot from the same mould.

Can you scratch tin with your fingernail?????
No.

What are the characteristics f a muffin of tin?????
No amount of strawberry jam can make it edible.

CM

Gunfixer
02-25-2009, 01:01 PM
"no amount of strawberyy jam can make it edible"

Charlie,
How about butter or BBQ sauce???:drinks:

GSM
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Superfly:

If you can cast the "tin" into a stick form, pure or high tin content will crackle as you bend it.

Gerry N.
02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Superfly:

If you can cast the "tin" into a stick form, pure or high tin content will crackle as you bend it.

Actually, it's more of a "creaking" sound. Once upon a time you could find pure tin in bars approximately 1/2" X 5/8" x 8" along with bars of solder of various ratios at your local hardware store.

When I was a kid, I was given a set of molds and several bars of tin from which I cast tin soldiers, cowboys and Indians to play with. If memory serves, I was at least nine. As my cadre took casualities, I went to the Tweedy and Popp store on 45th in the Wallingford district of Seattle to buy more tin, Old Man Tweedy introduced me to the concept of "Alloy" whereby I could recruit many more fighting men by using lead which was cheap and adding tin which made them tougher and helped fill out the arms and legs, making them superior warriors. I also found an old Ideal ball mold, I think it was about .40 caliber. It made perfect split shot, in which I cut the split with my pocket knife and wonderful projectiles for my slingshot.

No more. Such is life in the Nanny State where it's assumed you are no longer competent even to wipe your own butt and allowing a kid to make his own toys, use fire and actually own his own knife are all criminal offenses.

Sometimes I think the time to gird up one's loins, haul the Jolly Roger to the masthead and commence slitting throats is upon us.

Gerry N.

Superfly
02-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Well i think i hit the mother load.

The stuff i melted down is hard you can't scratch it with a fingernail shinney like chrome when you polish it and it sounds tinny when you hit 2 pieces together o and it flows when melted just like 95/5 solder.

it is lighter then lead to.

Also if you accedently drop a un solidified ingot on your wifes kitchen floor and lots land in here purse she is pissed off like the tinsell fairy on crack.

O yeah now need to Fix or repair vynel floor and buy a new purse OOOPPPPSSSSS

But when you scrap and peel it of the floor it sure feels like crinckle and sounds crinkley .

Crinckly is a Specialty term for the ingorant <LOL

Thanks Jaime

Milanodan
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Lead is "manly", but tin is not. Tin cries easily. Reminds me of one of my old elem. school/kindergarten report cards, where one of the yes/no categories was "Cries a lot".

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:bcin9y654aMJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_cry+%22tin+cry&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en

cptkeybrd
02-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I use this for blending it is very easy to calculate the end product you want. You can get anything you need from RotoMetals there link is at the top of the page.
Cheers

captaint
02-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Some years ago, I bought this 15 or 20# strip of tin from a scrap metal dealer. It is connected bars of about 5# each. Other than a band saw, how am I going to get this into approx 1# pieces?:Fire:

BPCR Bill
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Tin is all of the above, and can be obtained in bars from Midway USA or Buffalo Arms. These bars weigh in at 17 ounces, are 13 inches x 1inch x 1/2 inch. I believe if you melt your strips down in a large enough pot you can pour your tin into an ingot mold for a more manageable supply.

Regards,
Bill

454PB
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Here's what my tin looks like. I bought a 10 pound ingot years ago, then melted it down and made smaller ingots in a Lyman ingot mould. It's quite hard, shiney, and has a dull crystaline appearance when the ingot is broken. It also rings when it hits the floor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/eddard49/Tin.jpg

dominicfortune00
02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Try rubbing your thumb on your tin ingot for a minute or two.

If it smells like a tin can, you do have tin.

Charlie Sometimes
02-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Great new by-line to use- Thanks Gerry N.!

I think the time to gird up one's loins, haul the Jolly Roger to the masthead and commence slitting throats is upon us.