PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P94 Lee 401 175-TC

jmbeard
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I just recently starting loading cast boolits for my Ruger P94 in 40 S&W. The first boolits that I loaded I purchased and they were 170-SWC. I seated these at 1.12 and they functioned without any issues. When I cast from the Lee mold I tried these at 1.12 and they would bind up in the chamber before they dropped all the way in. I tried these with they barrel out and kept seating the boolit a little deeper. I had to seat to 1.09 before they would drop freely into the chamber. The length of the Lee boolit is .03 shorter than the SWC. Is there something else I can do or do I need to use a different style boolit? Thanks.

runfiverun
02-25-2009, 12:00 AM
the front of the boolit is acting as your case mouth.
i have this problem in one of my 45's i just seat them flush and all is good.
i would worry if they were seating deep enough to take up case capacity and raising pressures.
if they strip and shoot fine i wouldn't worry about it.

popnfresh
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Are you sizing them? Maybe they are casting too big for your throat..

kir_kenix
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I have to load the Lee swc's as RFR described to have them headspace right in my autos as well. Just keep in mind that the .40 is a pretty high pressure load, so if your already loading at near max velocity, back it off a bit. I accidentally switched to a heavier boolit in the .40 without changing my load/dies, and the pressure signs were kind of scary. If your using a mid level load, I wouldn't worry about the tiny bit of case capacity you are losing seating them a bit deeper.

Jon Schram

jmbeard
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
All of the boolits are measuring .401 or .402. I didn't size them. I am using a fairly light load of 4.2 Bullseye.