PDA

View Full Version : Hardness for 9mm?

Tweaker
02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Is there any translation of the dent, scratch, mark method into a rough Brinnell hardness number? (I do not have a hardness tester)

What hardness do you suppose I would require for 9mm 125 RN at 1000 fps? I guess I could fire em and just watch out for leading .

Throwback
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Answer to your first question is "not really". Experience with different alloys and pure lead, which is very easy to mark with your fingernail would give you some basis for comparison but this is a matter of judgement and not pure science.

You need not cast exceptionally hard for the nine in most cases. (You don't say what you are shooting it in) I know of some people, famous and otherwise, who like to cast the nine (and other handgun rounds) from straight linotype but this is grossly unnecessary. Use straight WW to start with and see how that works. I am guessing that you will be quite satisfied.

Cloudpeak
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I use straight, air cooled wheel weights sized .357" in my 9's with no problem.

Cloudpeak

Tweaker
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Thankee kindly.

I am shooting from handguns between 2.5 and 5 inches in length (semi autos)

I have 180 ingots from range lead, no WW. I expect to have to add tin for filling out and antimony for hardness. I am about to place an order with the Antimony man. I jes want some advice b4 i place order.

Throwback
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Range lead should also be fine as is. A litte bit of tin may or may not be needed - but it certainly won't hurt. Antimony is not easy to play with. Do your homework.