PDA

View Full Version : Burm mining

NSP64
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I got to do something to help the enviroment last Sunday morning. I went to the gun club and mined the burm:drinks: Actually went to shoot but at 8am nobody else was there, sooooo when I was down checking the target @ 100 yrds I started picking up all the bullets/boolits lying about[smilie=1: 10lbs in 30 minutes as well as 200 5.56 brass and assorted other calibers the 'cowboys' leave on the range. I found some 30 cal FMJ rounds that were colored yellow on the tip, what are those?

jhrosier
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I picked lead up from the berms at my club last year and got about 150 pounds with not too much trouble, just picking from the surface.
I only pick up cast boolits and shotgun slugs.
I treat the recovered lead as if it was WW when casting and get good results.

I would not mess with any jacketed bullets with painted tips as they may be tracers or incendary that would provide some real excitement if dropped into a pot of molten lead.:brokenima

Jack

buck1
02-24-2009, 09:46 PM
A flat shovel and a old fryer basket, can make it pay big time!
PS do NOT melt any colored tiped bullets. Some go boom!

targetshootr
02-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I try to pick em up every trip too. In two years I've got about 600 pounds. They won't allow us to use digging tools though.

NSP64
02-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I've been surfing and found out the yellow tip was polish mfg 180gr for 7x54:Fire:

oldtoolsniper
02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Green and orange are armor piercing, red is tracer, and black is most likely what civilians call varmint grenades. If it is of foreign manufacture which most of the stuff sold at gun shows is then all bets are off. I wouldn’t buy it, shoot it nor would I attempt to melt it. They do not have safety controls like we do here in the USA. It was common practice not to screw the fuses into hand grenades of soviet manufacture until they were needed because they are extremely unstable. We used grenades and LAAWS from the Vietnam War with no problems.

NSP64
02-25-2009, 12:19 AM
We used grenades and LAAWS from the Vietnam War with no problems.

There are mil/surp matches at the range and I think the yellow tip rounds are from that. They are deformed and melt ok.

My avitar is an M110 8"howitzer that had a HE fuse go off at the end of the barrel(short of the muzzle brake) using 1954 war reserve ammo in Germany in 1984. The HE round weighs 200lbs.:drinks:

Timberland
02-25-2009, 03:21 AM
7.62x54r usually a hungarian or polish bullet, its a mild steel core, so wont help you much in casting. Thoes use to be very cheap fodder for the Mosin Nagant, hmmmm olden days :roll:

Shiloh
02-25-2009, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=Timberland;505918 ...Those use to be very cheap fodder for the Mosin Nagant, hmmmm olden days :roll:[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen it at the gun shows in a long time. It's gone the way of $4 bandoleers of mil-surp Turkish 8mm Mauser fodder.

Shiloh

par0thead151
02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
i would be leery of melting down FMJ rifle bullets as you can tumble the painted tip off. it could also have been faded to begin with, and when hitting soil or sand berms, rub it all off. now you are putting it in a pot full of molten lead... not a happy ending.