PDA

View Full Version : Primers, prices going out of sight.

Rodfac
02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I went out today to check on local stocks of large pistol primers here in Louisville Ky. Keisler's, on the Indiana side of the Ohio had CCI's at $29.50 a thousand, before tax but no Winchesters, my preferred brand. Thinking that the local Bass Pro outlet over there might have some, I checked and was rewarded with the highest price I've ever seen...$60.00 a thousand before tax!!! Remington's and CCI's were cheaper but not as low as Keisler's. When I mentioned that Keisler's had CCI's for $29.50 he just shrugged. Went back to Keisler's and bought a thousand of the CCI's. Sounds an awful lot like price gouging to me. December's big gun show in Louisville had Winchesters for $30.00 a thousand, which at the time I thought was out of sight.

Lot's of talk about hoarding on several other sites that I frequent...jitters about the Obama regime's intentions towards guns, shooting, and the 2nd Amendment in general I'd guess. Gonna be a long cold four years guys...keep your powder dry.

Regards, Rodfac

Gar
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I was in New Mexico two weeks ago for a job. I wandered into the local gun store just to look around. They had CCI primers priced at $42 a thousand :roll:
When I asked the counter guy why so much, he said "Because we have them".
They didn't have any other brand of primers in stock.
Our local Sportsmen Warehouse has nothing, but a few of the gunshops have primers (limit 1000 to a customer) for about $28.
Wolf primers are still selling for less than $100 per 5K IF you can find them.
Until people stop panic buying, the prices are going to stay high.

RSOJim
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I was at the Orlando Florida Bass Pro Shop this morning. No primers at all. Very little powder. I bought their last pound of bullseye. thanks Jim

Shiloh
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Until people stop panic buying, the prices are going to stay high.

You are correct sir!!

It's what is driving the market. Economics 101. Several years ago, I used up the last of the primers from the "Great Clinton Primer Scare" Those were $60 a 5000 sleeve, and I was still single. Flush with cash. Sheesh!!

Unfortunately, the fellow who stocked them has a point and made it. Bought several thousand in Jan for $26 and tax at a gun show, plus the $5 to get in. This was $2 more than the Sept. gun show. The local gun shop has them for $32 by the brick and $3.99 by the 100, plus tax.

Shiloh

targetshootr
02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
If you join a skeet range you can get a better price since they buy tons of clays. Last fall I bought WLPs at $22/1000 plus tax, no shipping or hazmat. You can get a good deal on powder too.

I forgot to say I think retailers are using the election as an excuse to pad their prices.

JeffinNZ
02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Given that commodity prices have plummeted this is obviously manufacturers/distributors/retailers taking advantage.

docone31
02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Mayhaps we might have to go to making Berdan Primers, and useing the cases, or converting cases to Berdan.
I figuired out how to convert to Boxer primers, and almost had a tool made.
I have always been backwards.

Sprue
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
It seems as though the distributors and or manufactures are either hording or holding back for one reason or another. The local store fronts are just not able to replace their depleated shelves.

In actuallity, it seems as though the gov is subsidizing the manufactures, provoking them NOT to produce, fill Orders or to ship goods. Thats the painted picture looking into my crystal ball anyway.

As for primers, the avg price in these here parts is $32

leadeye
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Unless there is some ammo confiscation bill out of congress this year I would expect prices to drop a lot by 2010. Then jump back up if it resurfaces.

Heavy lead
02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
It's always supply/demand. Right now the demand is high, supply is low regardless of reason. One reason could be the plants just are not ready to put on ot and be stuck with them in the warehouse when the demand eases, or they could be doing it on purpose, or simply they do not think it is a wise long range investment to build/buy equipement or for that matter raw materials until the commodity markets drop even more. Who knows, myself I'm not hoarding. I have enough on hand to shoot everything all summer and rotate a certain amount of each size and type I use in case the SHF scenario. Myself I think Barry had every intention of doing what we all thought he was going to do, but I think he is having a real awakaning and can see the will of the American people Dems and Reps combined and it has humbled him some in his liberal tendancies. He is seeing just how much how he acts effects the economy and the social elements of this country.
I could be wrong, but this is my observation of the situation.
For entertainment purposes only.

mpmarty
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Bought thirty thousand LP primers from Grafs and the following month a max order of powder (as much as they could ship on one haz mat fee). I now use LP primers in my rifle loads for cast boolits and if anything the accuracy has improved. I have pretty much quit loading Jboolits. Dumped all my small primer weapons, 223, 40S&W etc and went with 10mm, 45acp and 7.62 NATO.

Kawfeegod
02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
I pay in the range of 19.99 - 23.99 for large pistol here in Eastern Washington State. Federal primers are pretty much non-existant. The guy behind the counter said the they have a military contract. They havce tons of CCI. Long live the White Elephant!

jdgabbard
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
The going price for primers over the last 6 months has been $100-120, depending on what your buying. As far as shortage, I have no clue. I suspect its people just not stocking as many. The store I go to had probably 300,000 on the shelf this afternoon. No biggy. Same price as ever.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
my shop had primers come in Friday Winchester WLR and WLRM $24.99 a thousand. think this really high pricing is the shops.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Here is what my shop looked like Friday morning on powder. Primers were almost gone when I checked out. Most of the empty space is where I put it in my cart

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/IdahoElkHunter/0221091136800x600.jpg

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
this place seems to have a good supply

http://armsandammo.com/prodpage.cfm?SubCatID=14

Ole
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Here is what my shop looked like Friday morning on powder. Primers were almost gone when I checked out. Most of the empty space is where I put it in my cart

Nice!

I wonder how they get away with keeping that many full cans of powder on the shelf like that?

Many moons ago, I used to shop at a place that kept empty bottles of what they had in stock on display. If you wanted a powder, you took the empty jug to the counter and told them how many pounds you wanted. Guy told me it was because the fire dept told him he couldn't display more than 24 pounds unless it was in a fire proof cabinet.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Hullo, Idaho Elk Hunter, and others, you are a luckey man to have such a selection of powder, even if primers are scarse. Here in Alaska you can't find eather, if you do it won't be much and it is pricie. If the Prez & his cronies of the far left have their way with pushing their ani-gun agenda like they did with our money in their so called stemulius pkg... we will be in big trouble and no one will know what they passed until it is too late...call it panic buying if you like.. I call it self preservation.. I'll pay what I have to for the primers:holysheep

mike in co
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
If you join a skeet range you can get a better price since they buy tons of clays. Last fall I bought WLPs at $22/1000 plus tax, no shipping or hazmat. You can get a good deal on powder too.

I forgot to say I think retailers are using the election as an excuse to pad their prices.

its the other way around...the greedy, scared, last minute buyers are causing a shortage at the retail level, the retailers are just responding to supply and demand........

your comment on fall prices last yr actually has no reference to todays market. i cannot buy winchester primers for 22/k today...and i am a dealer.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

mike in co
02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
It seems as though the distributors and or manufactures are either hording or holding back for one reason or another. The local store fronts are just not able to replace their depleated shelves.

In actuallity, it seems as though the gov is subsidizing the manufactures, provoking them NOT to produce, fill Orders or to ship goods. Thats the painted picture looking into my crystal ball anyway.

As for primers, the avg price in these here parts is $32

SORRY THIS JUST AINT SO.....read my previous post.....the public voted for him and then the rest voted with thier wallets.....

runfiverun
02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
things are easing up some guys.
the military is using mostly match type primers as they fall into "spec's"
i bought federal sr primers 2 weeks ago for 27.99.
and some lr primers for 28.99
powder stocks were low but s/warehouse is always low.
the other shop i went to had 8 lb jugs of alliant type shotgun/pistol powders on the shelf in bright shiny new containers.
just hang on a bit.

leadeye
02-24-2009, 10:09 PM

I sure wish we had a place with that kind of selection around Indy!:smile:

Tom Herman
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Folks,

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse in OLY yesterday. I didn't even bother with Cabela's. The shelves were even more bare than usual, with no Unique available, and just a smattering of primers, a few boxes of 100 quantities, and that was it.
Brass was practically non existent.
Bullets for reloading were quite plentiful, which had me scratching my head.
Either folks are just hoarding powder and primers, or there's lots of folks like me casting their own bullets.
Fortunately, I have a good supply of powder and primers bought before this foolishness started, so it's just a matter of eventual replenishment of my stock.
Good Luck to you all!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Its ashame we cant legally ship this. I can say I have bought it and individuals have shipped to me. I just dont want to say how

swheeler
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
I picked up some primers this weekend, Wolfe small pistol 87.95, small rifle same, 209 shotgun 119.95, and CCI 200 for 122.95- single bricks were 24.95.

runfiverun
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
nice to see you over here scott.
Lamar

swheeler
02-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice to be back!

TC66
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Last weekend I went to a gun show here in Ohio and was getting Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers for 23.95 per thousand. CCI or Winchester. Was buying IMR4064 for 19.99 per lbs. Still able to get what we need around here at gun shows at reasonable prices.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
i guess that picture wasnt very smart

carpetman
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
welcome back scott---hey you know what they call a donkey with an IQ of 200?

Sprue
02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
SORRY THIS JUST AINT SO.....read my previous post.....the public voted for him and then the rest voted with thier wallets.....

You need to read my post again.

I only state that it SEEMS like this and or that. Only making synonymous jestures. You're taking things way too serious. Step down off the stump and holster that pistola.

The part about the Store Fronts not being able to get replinishishments is ever so true. They submit Orders only to receive partial, incomplete Orders.

Yes, the fun store shelves are bare no matter where you go in these parts. With Spring around the corner, if I see someting I need, I grab it.

Just as food prices will never go down, I don't see components going down either. In fact, I just made a discovery in all of this. Now I know what the deal is, why the shelves are bare. The Manufacturers are re-tooling. Gearing up for smaller containers just as in the food biz.

Thats it!

swheeler
02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
welcome back scott---hey you know what they call a donkey with an IQ of 200?
A smart ###--

Gussy
02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Local store is starting to get Federals again, $29.95. I was at the White Elephant in spokane they only had CCI BR2's @ $40.00

targetshootr
02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
your comment on fall prices last yr actually has no reference to todays market. i cannot buy winchester primers for 22/k today...and i am a dealer.

The place I bought them was at the wholesaler who supplies the range and he had plenty of them long after the hoarding began at the same time Gander Mtn quoted me $35/1000. Just for the heck of it I'll call em and see if they've gone up.

Paladin 56
02-24-2009, 11:52 PM
It's always supply/demand. Right now the demand is high, supply is low regardless of reason. One reason could be the plants just are not ready to put on ot and be stuck with them in the warehouse when the demand eases, or they could be doing it on purpose, or simply they do not think it is a wise long range investment to build/buy equipement or for that matter raw materials until the commodity markets drop even more. Who knows, myself I'm not hoarding. I have enough on hand to shoot everything all summer and rotate a certain amount of each size and type I use in case the SHF scenario. Myself I think Barry had every intention of doing what we all thought he was going to do, but I think he is having a real awakaning and can see the will of the American people Dems and Reps combined and it has humbled him some in his liberal tendancies. He is seeing just how much how he acts effects the economy and the social elements of this country.
I could be wrong, but this is my observation of the situation.
For entertainment purposes only.

I agree for the most part with Heavy lead, especially about Berry.

Manufacturers that produce brass, bullets, powder, and primers (or anything else for that matter) have to buy what they think they will need well in advance of what they think the demand will be. As the demand increases, so does their buying for the increased demand. If they over buy and the demand drops, they are caught with high priced raw materials that guess-who gets to pay for.

They are then stuck passing along the cost of the high priced materials purchased months previously. As the supply of the high priced material is slowly depleted due to less demand, they will be buying raw materials at a reduced rate resulting in reduced costs, but the time lag may be months.

This leads to the possibility that they realize what people are willing to pay for their goods, and after months or years of the high prices, they may decide to simply stick the difference in their pockets for a higher profit.

I recall wondering how the companies kept their prices as low as they were when the prices of metals were rising at a rapid rate, particularly copper. Then it hit me one day when I went to the Wal-Mart to buy 100 rounds of .45 ACP ammo for the long time price of $20. Much to my chagrin, the price was now $30, not the $20 I had been paying for I can’t remember how long. It didn’t creep up a dollar or two at a time – it jumped right on up there 50% without warning, at least to me.

There is little doubt that some distributors and retailers are greedy and will charge what the market will bear. In these cases one needs to make their displeasure known with their pocket book and look elsewhere for their needs.

Your mileage may vary.

David

blackthorn
02-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Two words!---FREE ENTERPRIZE!!---Aint it great??
Sure beats the he** out of the alternative though don't it??
If you folks are like me--long memory--those companys that put stuff in little-bitty boxes so they don't have to lower the price and can keep on gouging when costs drop, will be a long time getting any more of my money. BUT, it helps when you are older than dirt (like me) and are avoiding too many carbs in the diet--LOL!!

targetshootr
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by mike in co

I called the wholesaler today and the price is the same for WLPs, $21.80/1000, and they're still in stock.

Racer X
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Thinking that the local Bass Pro outlet over there might have some, I checked and was rewarded with the highest price I've ever seen...$60.00 a thousand before tax!!! Regards, Rodfac

I experienced the exact same thing at our local Bass Pro Shop the other day!
They had primers for $5.99 per 1000. A competitor store was selling them for ~ $30 per 1000.

I asked if they would match prices of local competitors, telling them about the other stores price of $30 per 1000. The saleman called a female supervisor and asked if he could discount.

Her response was very disturbing. She said "you mean you have them on the shelves in packages of 1000? You're not supposed to be selling them in bulk." I told the salesman that 1000 primers was not a bulk buy and that I would not be buying them at BPS. Powder was cheaper than the other store in town, but they are smoking weed asking $6 a 1000 for primers.

Racer X
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Anyone ever used Wolf or Magtec primers? They have those here locally.

Down South
02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Never used Wolf but I keep hearing good reports about them plus they are cheaper. What I've heard from many sources is, they always go bang. I Can't help you on the Magtec.

Gar
02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I use Wolf primers, never had any problems with them. Just don't use SR Wolf primers in a 5.56, the cup is to thin, use their SRM primers, thicker cup metal and works fine.

runfiverun
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
for quite some time all i could find was mag tech's.
i have fired over 5,000 so far and only had problems with 3 pieces of brass and i tried all 3, 3
times then tried a different primer in them and 2 had the same problem and the other fired the second time i tried it.
all 3 are now in the recycle bin.

GrizzLeeBear
02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Anyone ever used Wolf or Magtec primers? They have those here locally.

I've used Magtech LP, SP and SR primers. Have had no problems at all.

hedgehorn
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
One has to wonder about the unintended consequences of all of the hoarding of components and price gouging because of the availability. When everyone has their basements full of primers and powder what will the manufactures do with their product? Could be that the market drops as fast as it flourished. I certainly hope not but if you look at what America did when the gas prices went through the roof and just stopped driving as much because of the price of gas? What happens to the component manufactures when people don't shoot for recreation anymore because they either cant afford or cant find the components? Sorry for the ramble just thinking out loud. :violin:

HangFireW8
02-26-2009, 01:37 AM
I experienced the exact same thing at our local Bass Pro Shop the other day!
They had primers for $5.99 per 1000. A competitor store was selling them for ~ $30 per 1
Powder was cheaper than the other store in town, but they are smoking weed asking $6 a 1000 for primers.

Please tell me which location I can find any kind of primers for $6/1000.

-HF

Down South
02-26-2009, 08:05 AM
I stocked up on powder and primers back last summer just in case the election went the wrong way and a buying scare developed. Looks like I was right. Maybe things will start easing off soon or least I hope so. We will have to go a little farther with this new administration to see what develops and what people’s reactions will be to it.

mike in co
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I use Wolf primers, never had any problems with them. Just don't use SR Wolf primers in a 5.56, the cup is to thin, use their SRM primers, thicker cup metal and works fine.

wolf makes a special primer for the 223...its called small rifle/223

use the right primer for the job.

mike in co

sargenv
02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I too made a purchase before everything became scarce. I'm using Large pistol for all my reduced rifle loads (308 and 30-30) and I just picked up 2k of the Rio Shotshell primers locally and was happily surprised that the local skeet range had them on sale for $19.95/k. They compare to Cheddite 209s in power and size (a bit oversized than Winchester) but that didn't matter as I will likely switch over to Rios permanently (as long as I can get them) and use CCIs later if I can't get Rios. In my Tuned Revolvers I'm stuck on Federal small pistol, so I get those any time I can find them high prices or not. Everything else I shoot can set off anything so Winchester, CCI, Wolf, whatever I can get my hands on works.

TAWILDCATT
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I WW 1 gun companies built factories and got new machinery.when the gov canceled orders the workers were fired and then the plants closed.win/rem/sav.
just about the same in WW2.this time the companies are producing with what they have,so they have no extra capacity.and the powder companies have morfed into almost one.capacity is limited.and now win is gone,the powder company was dupont and now it is canadian owned.
the bigest thing is new reloaders,and the shooting habits of all new shooters you cant shoot 500 rds on week end and expext there not to be a shortage.there just is not that much capacity to produce.[smilie=1: :coffeecom

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
it seems funny, in a sick sort of way; that the companies that depend on shooters/reloaders are the ones screwing us about half to death on components. They will, of course, want all of us to write every one of our senators or reps to support our 2nd Amendment so they can shove it in a little farther and a little longer. It would almost be worth it to see one of them have to close their doors when the troops come home next year. I wonder if we could pick one and start a grassroots revolt?

I figured out a plan, I am going to stop shooting for a while and go back to my bow. That's the only thing they can't hose us on, since you make one dozen arrows and you are good to go for a year.

Rich
Buff Killer

Kawfeegod
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Gussy,

I usually buy CCI LP at the WE for about $23 a brick. It has been awhile since I have been there. Glad I have a stock pile. :)

VintageRifle
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Lima Gunshow, guy sells primers for $23/1000 CCI. Next lowest price is $26/1000 CCI. Bass Pro is overpriced on just about everything. $50/1000 a few weeks ago at the Bass Pro down from Toledo, Ohio.

These primers sell out in a few hours. I have to work on the first day of the gunshows anymore and miss out.

Houndog
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I just bought a case of Wolf LP primers from Widners at $20.00/1000 in case lots. Stan had 330 cases on the floor and another container full going through customs Monday. I can find no falt with Wolf primers, and in fact many of the local benchrest shooters I know are abandoning Federal and using Wolf SR MAGNUM primers in their PPC's. If the primer cups can stand a PPC, a 223 or other "normal" round shouldn't be a problem.

mike in co
02-26-2009, 11:55 PM
it seems funny, in a sick sort of way; that the companies that depend on shooters/reloaders are the ones screwing us about half to death on components. They will, of course, want all of us to write every one of our senators or reps to support our 2nd Amendment so they can shove it in a little farther and a little longer. It would almost be worth it to see one of them have to close their doors when the troops come home next year. I wonder if we could pick one and start a grassroots revolt?

I figured out a plan, I am going to stop shooting for a while and go back to my bow. That's the only thing they can't hose us on, since you make one dozen arrows and you are good to go for a year.

Rich
Buff Killer

sorry to burst your bubble, bit prices went up when the materials went up...eventually.
watch the thread
copper goes up two yrs ago, peaks last yr at 4 plus dollars per pound..nearly a 400%increase.
primers are made from a copper alloy,
most bullets have a copper or copper alloy jacket.
the price of lead goes up during the same time frame...by a factor of 3 plus.
bullets are made from lead.
core material on hand , lead wire companies have stock, but as used up new material cost more.
two yrs ago every one had inventory on hand,
sheet copper was on hand, but was replaced with new copper at increasing prices
bullet jackets were on hand
slugs to make jackets were on hand two yrs ago, but
they had to be replaced, buy new stock and higher prices.
so this delayed cycle goes on for two yrs.
the bottom line is that copper prices are down, but the inventory in the chain is all based on the 2 yrs peak........
add to that two on going wars eating up supplies,
add to that an election that drove some to buying frenzies.....
supply is down because demand is up.
prices are up because material cost were up,
prices at the dealer are up because supplies are down and demand is up.

you can blame the manufactures all you want if it makes you feel good,
but there is no fact behind it.

mike in co

qajaq59
02-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I just paid $32.95 for them last week.