PDA

View Full Version : Today At My Shooting Range

StarMetal
01-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Beautiful day here in Tennessee and I enjoyed it shooting. I had a bunch of testing to do. One was my 22 Hornet. You might remember from before it shot a tighter groups with Rem brass then Win brass using the same loads. Well I reduced the load for the Win brass by 1/2 gr and now it shoots the same as the Rem brass. The rifle is definately shooting consistant now. Now I have to work the group down with maybe powder changes.

I had the 1908 Brazilian carbine out with a bunch of loads using 4895, 860, and 5010. I was using my swaged UP Lyman 150 gr loverins. Most the loads were shooting okay, but not good enough..until I shot the 5010 loads which were last. IMR...you paying attention and reading this....pay close attention to the 5010 load. I loaded just five for the test. Well, viola, four shots went into a ragged hole about little less then 1/2 inch and had one flyer close by. The reason there's no post of the target is because the damn load shot high, in fact just barely touching the edge of the top of my targer paper. The majority of the hole is in my backstop board. Don't worry...I'm going to load more of that and get back out there. IMR...when I shoot 5010 in any of my rifles I extract the brass very very slowing so as not to get any unburned powder that may still be in the case into the guns action and plus I look at this to determine how well it had burned. I also tip the gun up with the muzzle down to see how much is in the bore. Well in the 7x57 I have I got half an unburned kernel from the case and none from the bore!!!! The load seems pretty fast to, but I din't chrono it. You can bet I will next time. Looks like I got something this carbine loves.

Joe

nighthunter
01-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I think Starmetal was shooting at a sheep sillywet.
Nighthunter

Bass Ackward
01-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Joe,

Cool.

I shot a couple hundred rounds of 44s today at 50 yards so that I have something worthwhile for my efforts. When I yielded range time, I spent the rest of the time lapping my two new Charles Daly Mini-Mausers.

All they had left were two left hand mini Mausers so I got them both. One is going to be a 223 and the other a 7.62X39. Golly my hands need a break.

Buckshot
01-29-2006, 06:28 AM
.................In the 7x57 the slow powders do well. Here's a couple targets shot from my 1908/M98 Brazilian Mauser with it's 29" bbl, issue sights and trigger and a 1897 Remington RB, same deal, at 50 yards. The velocity and ES is listed on the targets:

http://www.fototime.com/51033A5247B82E1/standard.jpg
These 2 targets were shot with the RCBS 7mm-168

http://www.fototime.com/F3E012F96D480D9/standard.jpg
These 2 were shot with the 150gr Lyman

I have it in my book at home which rifle shot which target. In the lower pair if you look close you'll see some evidence of mild tipping.

Nothing special was done in prepping this ammo. Both boolit designs were sized to .285" and the lube was Javalina. I've not fired these at 100 yards and they very well could be flying all over.

In both instances, the charge was a full case of the indicated powders. They burned as clean as if I had been using 4227.

....................Buckshot

StarMetal
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Well weather permitting I have a retest of that 5010 powder in my 7x57 from yesterday. My eyes popped out when I saw that ragged hole in my backstop because truthfully I hadn't had any success with anything in that rifle yet. Looks like that is about to change and we'll see if I get out today.

Buckshot nice shooting and I'm glad you're a 7x57 fan and I know that you are.

Joe