PDA

View Full Version : Best boolit type for .40 Glock

ghh3rd
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm ordering a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock .40 so I can push lead through it without having to worry so much about lead build up, leading to pressure build up, leading to KaBoom.

I just started casting recently, with a 2 cavity .38 mold. I want to start casting for my .40 next, only this time I'll get the 6 cavity.

I'm going to get another Lee mold since I was sucessful with the .38. What would be the preferred boolit type (mold # would be great) to use for .40 cal going through a Glock with a Lone Wolf supported barrel?

Thanks,

Randy

sqlbullet
02-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I am shooting the Lee TL 175 SWC .401 in my Witness 10mm's. They perform just great.

However, look here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47042). Thread talks about another members struggles with a Storm Lake barrel and the 175 grain TC.

truckmsl
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Randy - I'm using the Lee TL 175 SWC .401 in my Lone Wolf barrel and it works good for me. However, my barrel slugs out to .401 and I found that .402 boolits worked best. I had to send the barrel back to Lone Wolf to open up the throat a bit to accommodate the larger boolit, which they did for free with a very quick turn around time. I'm loading with a Dillon Square Deal and found that unless I used fairly hard lead, the brass was swaging the .402 boolit down to .401. Feeding is great as long as you keep the oal to around 1.135". I had to beagle my Lee six banger mold to get the size I wanted.

kamikaze1a
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I used to use that mold and really liked the shooting results....BUT had too many failure to return to battery. The shoulder on that SWC design was causing the slide to stop just short of battery. Went with the Lee trucated cone with a single lube groove and problme went away. I still TL but lube retention is not as good without the microgrooves.

I had similar problems with my 45acp TL SWC boo's...

ghh3rd
02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Was this with a Glock? Was it far enough into battery to actually fire out of battery?

Randy

arcticbreeze
02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I have used the Lee 401-175-TC and had no problems in my Glock 23 with a LW barrel but I found I like the Lyman 401638 175 gr TC better. It is almost identical except with a slightly narrower metplate and longer nose. Either one works well in the Glock but the Lyman worked much better in my match grade STI Edge.

kamikaze1a
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
ghh3rd, if you were asking me. Yes, the 40 was a Glock but the 45acp was Sig. With the Glock, the slide would be almost closed and a tug and release would cause it to return to battery. The round would be for the most part in the chamber and almost seems as if the nose was catching. I tried polishing the feed ramp, polishing the chamber, polishing the transition between the ramp and chamber and even a little polishing of the breech face. Went with a different boolit profile, Lee TC. End of problem. And wouldn't fire until returned to battery...

The Sig was more severe. The shoulder of the boo was getting caught by the ejected shell and even tore the case mouth. Switched to the Lee RN...no more problems.

ghh3rd
02-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks kamikaze1a and everyone...