PDA

View Full Version : HVR visit Alox in cold weather

canuck4570
01-28-2006, 01:44 PM
I went shooting yesterday in cold weather .... 25 degree F. I had loads with 5 different powder 5 rounds in heach .... on set with HRV and the other set with Alox ..half and half with bee wax.. powder where IMR 3031... 4895..... Hogdon Varget Blc2 4895.....the caliber was 4570 bullet was a 500 gr mold from Mountain mold...no gaz check ...cast in wheel weight....rifle his my Ruger no 1...... all group where made from the bench distance 100 yards....speed on the chrono range frome 1200 to 1450 fps loads where between 40 and 42 gr ...to make a long story short.... groups with Alax stayed within 2 inches and with HVR 4 to 6 inches.....I could come with only one solution is that the HVR is to hard for cold weather......what do you think.......

Bass Ackward
01-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I went shooting yesterday in cold weather .... 25 degree F. I had loads with 5 different powder 5 rounds in heach .... on set with HRV and the other set with Alox ..half and half with bee wax.. powder where IMR 3031... 4895..... Hogdon Varget Blc2 4895.....the caliber was 4570 bullet was a 500 gr mold from Mountain mold...no gaz check ...cast in wheel weight....rifle his my Ruger no 1...... all group where made from the bench distance 100 yards....speed on the chrono range frome 1200 to 1450 fps loads where between 40 and 42 gr ...to make a long story short.... groups with Alax stayed within 2 inches and with HVR 4 to 6 inches.....I could come with only one solution is that the HVR is to hard for cold weather......what do you think.......

Your results are your results. Don't look for a poll.

That appears to be what your gun is telling you. I haven't tried HVR for years, but hated it when I did because it threw more pressure. The best cold weather lubes that you can "buy" for cold weather in a big bore application that I have found so far is either Lyman Black Powder Gold or Super Molly. Depends how much lube your bullet carries as to what works best for you.

But trust your results.

Buckshot
01-29-2006, 06:36 AM
....................I would say that in your test, I would reach that conclusion myself. The only way to prove it would be to fire it again, but with warm ammunition on a day with similar weather to your cold weather test. With both lubes at similar warm temps. If they both do equally well in that case, you'll then know if the HVR is in fact a poor cold weather choice.

Transport the ammo in a styrofoam chest with a couple hot bricks? 8)

.................Buckshot