PDA

View Full Version : Lee bottom pour is getting light rust

ghh3rd
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I have used my Lee bottom pour a few times and just noticed a very light layer of rust on all of the exposed surfaces of the pot. Would wiping the surfaces with oil cause problems with the next casting session? How do others deal with rust prevention?

Thanks,

Randy

docone31
02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Let it rust, it slows down after a while.
You live near me, remember, oil floats on water. If you want rust on metal surfaces here, oil it up!
Blueing is controlled rusting. Same as that reddish stuff you see.
It won't rust through by the time you get another one.

ghh3rd
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Great! That makes it easy.

Thanks

docone31
02-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I found, here, with the liquid air, if you oil metal, it rusts! I wax all my blued surfaces, other wise, my blueing after a fashion gets rust dimples.
I used to oil everything, being from the North. I learned.

jdgabbard
02-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I've had problems with my pot starting to rust too. Funny thing is it started after I stopped using beeswax to flux. I guess the waxy residue was preventing it. Guess what I'm back to now ;)

35remington
02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I heave a batch of wax in the pot during the last casting session and before storing it, and let it oxidize to white smoke. Or ignite it, and let the wax liquid and vapors run down the side of the pot a bit.

No rust.

454PB
02-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm a Marvelux guy, which is supposed to mean everything rusts. However, my oldest Lee pot is over 35 years old and still working just fine.

Don't worry about the rust.

yodar
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Let it rust, it slows down after a while.
You live near me, remember, oil floats on water. If you want rust on metal surfaces here, oil it up!
Blueing is controlled rusting. Same as that reddish stuff you see.
It won't rust through by the time you get another one.

THAT will cause rust overnight if you dont boil out your pot before storage

I spray my pot with Midway drop-out, a graphite spray

yodar

mto7464
02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
i rub a candle on the metal of the pot after the lead has cooled enough to be solid. the pot will be hot enough to melt the wax but not burn off and leave a nice waxy coating until the next time you smelt simple easy and cheap

Cowboy5780
02-26-2009, 06:05 AM
ive got some flaked carnuba wax i used for flux if you flux before you stop it leaves a nice yellow coating on the pot and i dont see any rust works pretty decent for flux as well

rbuck351
02-26-2009, 06:12 AM
I sure hope the rust isn't a big deal as mine has been rusting for about 30 years now and I was hoping to get another 20 out of it. I have used a lot of different fluxes in it but never did anything special when done casting other than unplug it.