PDA

View Full Version : Bottom pour or ladle and pot

Bobby Ironsights
02-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi, I've decided to get either a Lee magnum melter or a Lee Pro 4-20, I'm going to start casting buckshot and .690 slugs and I'd like to get going at a fair clip.

Which is better? Bottom pour, or Pot?

On one hand I've heard the bottom pours leak, and get clogged. On the other hand, how do you get the lead out of the bottom of the magun melter, and keep the chaff out of the ladle?

NuJudge
02-23-2009, 07:32 AM
A little leaking does not trouble me, and I like the high throughput with a bottom pour, so I went with the Lee 20 pound bottom pour. Some people are really troubled by the leaking from Lee furnaces.

If your benchtop is anything like mine and regardless of technique, you'll have little bits of Lead all over it that you have to clean up, regardless of whether you use a bottom pour or not.

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
i like a bottom pour but would recomend you save your money a little longer and pick up a lyman or rcbs pot. You wont regret it.

cajun shooter
02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
It's not the leaking that's hard to put up with it's the temperature swings. Pot will not stay even close!!

22lover
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I hope the 4-20 is decent...just put in an order from Kempf's along with a bunch of other stuff.