PDA

View Full Version : Making boolit lube harder

guninhand
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm making my own lube 50/50 beeswax/special synthetic grease with a tablespoon of lanolin thrown in per pound. (Incidently this grease is very expensive and i got it for free so that's why I'm using it)

This lube is fine for an RCBS lubsizer but troublesome in the Star. I want to harden it up but the grease smokes at 350F and I couldn't get Ivory detergent to melt in it.

If I make it 50/50/25 (you know what I mean) beeswax/grease/parafin should the melt temp go up? I've never seen a lube formula that had both beeswax and parafin and wonder is there something that makes them incompatible.

hedgehorn
02-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I would add more paraffin. I am sure others will chime in ;)

jcwit
02-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Add paraffin. I make up my own lube with Bees wax, Paraffin, car wax, and mineral oil.

If its to soft I add more paraffin to hard more car wax, or mineral oil.

mtgrs737
02-23-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't know about the car wax, it usually has a very fine abrasive in it to polish the oxidation off the paint. You can get carnuba wax in flake form of the internet or ebay and that will harden your lube and leave your bore shiney or just use paraffin.

jdgabbard
02-23-2009, 01:18 AM
You could use paraffin, but I personally would opt for just a bit more beeswax. The beeswax I have is much harder then any paraffin wax. Remember you can always soften it up a bit if needed.

357maximum
02-23-2009, 01:28 AM
In your current situation I would simply add more beeswax...parraffin will likely lower the melt temp and make the lube less stable to your sizers needs...you would be better served with beeswax as it has flexibility that paraffin does not.

Ivory soap while upping melt temp actually makes a lube softer. If you are using grease..you have no need for further stearates..they are already very likely in your grease.

Hardcast416taylor
02-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Saeco Green: Beeswax, Paraffin wax, STP, Liquid Candle Color. As a personal touch I add a big spoonful of JPW. Robert

Recluse
02-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Another "add more beeswax" vote. In fact, about the only thing I use beeswax for is specifically making my lube a bit more firm.

:coffee:

guninhand
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys I'll add more beewax. It still has tinywhite pieces of the Ivory detergent suspended, about one little piece per cc, any chance that could cause unwanted abrasion?

Dale53
02-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I quit making my own lube when I discovered Lars45 White Label lube. His lube is extremely high quality and his price is so reasonable that I can no longer justify making my own:

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

My favorite is Red Carnauba.

Dale53

jcwit
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I knew someone would bring up the car wax deal. I went around and around about this about 2 years ago, it works for me, I have shiney bores, IMO its no worse than the small amount of abrasive left from tumbling, or the amount of dust or dirt the bullets pick up before being shot, unless of course you load and shoot in a climate controled room. Furthermore at my age I seriously doubt I could ever wear out a barrel with lead bullets short of adding valve grinding compound to the mix.

And as a final thought mayhaps I use a Car Wax NOT a Cleaner Wax.

mtgrs737
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
You are right, not all car waxes contain the mild abrasive, but most do. I once polished the clear coat off a new car by waxing way too often. It took a couple of years but the result was a dull finish, I was young and dumb (maybe I still am! LOL!). Now I am too busy and lazy to worry about that. I would add more Beewax if I wanted the firm up the lube. I use Lar's BAC and add a 3/8" slice of Lar's Carnuba Red to firm it up a bit more, it works well as it keeps the BAC lube from being so sticky and "tracking" to other boolits and reloading dies.

cajun shooter
02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I make my own BP lube and use 2 of your ingredients. I would also add a little more lanolin. You can see the difference when it's correct. Will also +1 on the beeswax. Was melting a pot full of beeswax down to pour into small ingots as my wife also uses it to make candles. I was outside on a recent pretty day. You should have seen all the bees that showed up.

yodar
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't know about the car wax, it usually has a very fine abrasive in it to polish the oxidation off the paint. You can get carnuba wax in flake form of the internet or ebay and that will harden your lube and leave your bore shiney or just use paraffin.

Indeed just go to the janitorial supply house and ask for pur carnauba wax (it is solid and grateable with a cheeze grater. It is also sold by Walt Melander at NEI as a flux and lube ingredient

Johnson's paste wax is more kerosene that wax. I would prefer solid to melt straight

yodar

TC66
02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I have to agree with Dale53. The Red Carnuba is great and cost is very reasonable. Try it you will like it!!!!