PDA

View Full Version : You know you have it bad when...

Boerrancher
02-22-2009, 09:57 PM
As some of you know the wife and I went to Kansas City for the weekend with a couple of our friends. We stayed at a 5 star Hotel and ate and some of the finest dining establishments. It was a good time all around, until the wheel weight bug bit me. I was fueling up our SUV at one of the filling stations and happen to look down and all around the gas pump the ground is littered with wheel weights.

I just couldn't help myself. If you can imagine the horror on my pore wife's face as I am in nice clothes with a nice coat picking up wheel weights and shoving them into the pockets of my London Fog coat, as she is sitting in the vehicle with our friends. I must have picked up between 5 and 7 lbs of the little gems, and when I got back in the vehicle my pockets clanged and banged against the console and the door. If looks could kill, I would be dead now. That is the first time the wife has ever gotten irritated at me over my boolit casting hobby. She just didn't understand that I was unable to resist picking up those wheel weights. It is an addiction, and I guess I have it bad.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

sundog
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Hooah, Joe. You saved them from having to pay for a hazmat cleanup - being in the big city and all! I picked up a wheel weight the other day, too. It was one of the itty bitty ones, you know, the kind that is smaller than the clip. Well, I got it. It's in the recycle can, right now. Good on you! Hope y'all had a good time.

3rptr
02-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Any place, any time.

RayinNH
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
My wife has picked up a few for me on occassion. Talked to my son in Georgia today he said he had a couple for me. Yeah I pick them up too...Ray

sav300
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
So,would a wife be an assest in collecting or a pain??
Good for you Joe,

nvbirdman
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
What is her problem?
I don't understand.
Why was she irritated?
In my opinion you were acting perfectly rationally.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I had a similar experience many years ago. My wife and I were driving down a street in Whittier, Ca. when I saw brass rods sticking out of a trash can. I stopped and while I was retrieving said rods my wife said( you are certainly not proud ), to which I replied(pride goeth before a fall). I also found a complete paint spray rig in the trash can. I took my booty home and while I was looking over my found treasures my elderly nieghbor came into my garage and asked what I was goning to do with the spray rig. Well it just happened I had seen a WW2 German youth dagger on his work bench earlier. When I offered to trade he jumped at the deal. I later sold the dagger to a clollector for 35 bucks. Of course that was a dumb thing to do considering what it would bring today. Hind sight is always great isn't? At least it paid to stop and check out the trash can.

testhop
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Boerancher you should explainto the wife that you are just removing the lead from the
evermintethat bad leadand it was your responceabley to do so

Slow Elk 45/70
02-23-2009, 03:14 AM
[smilie=1:Never look a gift horse in the mouth, pick em up and be proud, do we really care what other think of our strange behaviors around these treasures???

1Shirt
02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Think all real casters who are not overly wealthy have a bit of dumpster diver in their blood. Like the old saying goes, "one mans trash is anothers treasure". Think it starts with picking up brass on the range.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Calamity Jake
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Dem wornt WW you wes picken up, dey were boolets in the maken.

02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
It's a common sickness. I have it to my wife's chagrin. When she's not in the car, I make the kids get out and grab all I can find. (when it's safe, of course) They look on it as a game and delight in finding the ones I don't see first.

GP100man
02-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Problem ,Problem ????? I see no problem !!!!!!!

Anywhere Anytime I`m READY!!!!!

GP100man:castmine:

nicholst55
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Picking up wheel weights that you came across in a chance encounter... I don't see the problem there. It's when you go out of your way to find them and pick them up!

I'd call your behavior perfectly normal. But then, that's like the psych ward patient evaluating the doctor!

NSP64
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Nuthin wrong there, I would have asked the attendent also.:drinks:

tall grass
02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I found a 2 1\2" wheel wt out here the other day, darned if it didn't have Zn on it. Kept it though, they might be good trading stock some day.

Jim

Leadforbrains
02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Well I hope you know that I will be checkin' around all the gas pumps from now on.
Yep I belong to the Asylum for the Lead addicted.

SharpsShooter
02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Joe,

I mentioned that I collect wheel weights, lead etc. in conversation one day to a bunch of men at church as we were leaving services on a sunday long ago. Now every few weeks Jack will elbow me before service and say that he left a bag of weights for me on the floorboard of my Explorer. Thats happened several times. 10-15 pounds usually.

"If you collect wheel weights at church"..."You might have it bad"

SS

runfiverun
02-23-2009, 09:47 PM
you mean the wife wasn't checking the other side of the vehicle???
man you really gotta work on that.

Boerrancher
02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Nuthin wrong there, I would have asked the attendent also.:drinks:

This gas station was near the KCI airport. When we took our friends back there to catch their flight out, as we were leaving I wanted to go back their and ask the attendant about a bucket of them. She wouldn't stop by there on the way out. She was driving so I couldn't make the detour. Had I have been driving I would have been there begging for wheel weights.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

beemer
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Made a U turn on my bike and went back through a intersection. It was one of the big ones off a 18 wheeler.

beemer

Charlie Sometimes
02-23-2009, 11:16 PM
This so called addiction is funny- I don't care who you are!