PDA

View Full Version : .38 Special sizing die

billct
02-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Hello All,

I've been reloading off and on for years with a single cavity 357446 and sizing them at .358. I've always been satisfied with the accuracy. I recently bought a used double cavity mold and find there's hardly any sizing happening at all. Some material is being removed at the mold parting line but nothing in other areas.
Using a mic on the casts I can hardly tell the difference between the old and new, but there's one heck of a difference in the sizing die. The lube even blows out the top.

I guess more than likely the single cavity is slightly bigger than .358 and the new one slightly smaller. Both casts seem slightly out of round, maybe by .001 or so. Is that typical?? Also.........generally is .357 what most would size at? I hate to change the sizing die if it's been giving good range results but not sure if I've been sizing improperly all along.

Bill

runfiverun
02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
i use a 358 for my 357.
seems the new molds have been running small lately.
guess they are trying to keep up with all the new guys getting started.
you can look up "beagling" and it waill get you another thou or two.

mooman76
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
It is typical for bullets to come out of a mould slightly out of round and if yours id only off by .001 that isn't bad at all. Sizing usually takes care of that but sometimes there isn't much to size. If it's shooting/loading good I would worry about it or change a thing.

billct
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I did some closer checking and found the old mold was making them at 359-360 even though it was marked 357. Boy that's a long way from 357, maybe it was mismarked. I think I'm gonna try and find a larger double cavity mold maybe 358 and hope it makes at least 358, that's been working fine for a long time.

I looked up "beagling", does that really work adding tape to just one axis like that making the whole diameter bigger?

Harry O
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I did some closer checking and found the old mold was making them at 359-360 even though it was marked 357. Boy that's a long way from 357, maybe it was mismarked.

That is normal for Lyman moulds. Most of mine cast 0.003" over the marked size. Some are 0.002", but none are closer than that. That is OK by me. It allows plenty for sizing, even if the bore is slightly oversize. It sounds like the new one is the one that is off, not the old one.

BTW, I lso have a 357446 in a single cavity mould. You are right that it is very accurate. My favorite load for it is 4.8gr of Unique sized to 0.358" in a .38 Special. It is slow, being a single cavity, though. I use the 358156-GC for my .357 Magnum.

billct
02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
That is normal for Lyman moulds. Most of mine cast 0.003" over the marked size. Some are 0.002", but none are closer than that. That is OK by me. It allows plenty for sizing, even if the bore is slightly oversize. It sounds like the new one is the one that is off, not the old one.

BTW, I lso have a 357446 in a single cavity mould. You are right that it is very accurate. My favorite load for it is 4.8gr of Unique sized to 0.358" in a .38 Special. It is slow, being a single cavity, though. I use the 358156-GC for my .357 Magnum.

Yes...........you are right then if they do run large like that. Darn, I was all set to start making them 2 at a time, this single cavity works great but is time consuming. I've been using 3.2g Bullseye for years but have noticed Unique loads are popular. I might give it a try. Thanx for the tip.