PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die for Marlin 45-70

crazyjz
02-22-2009, 05:02 AM
It is near impossible to find anybody that lives near me who knows anything about casting or reloading; thank goodness for forums like this.

I have a Marlin 1895SS chambered in 45-70. I have slugged the barrel and determined that I should purchase and cast the bullets for it at .460.

I want to use a Gas Check type mold. I think I am going to purchase one of Ranch Dog's GC molds. My question is this. I don't want to size my bullets but I do want to lube and seat the gas checks.

If the bullets produced out of whatever mold I end with actually measure .460 and if I can find and buy a size .460 sizer die, will it work with the lubrisizer's available out there without resizing the bullet? I have not bought one but have been looking at the Lyman's and RCBS units.

If you can help me get a perspective on this by sharing direct knowledge or by providing a link to something available on the net, I would definately appreciate it.

Thanks!

gon2shoot
02-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Ranch Dogs molds are designed with tumble lubing in mind.
A cheap Lee push through sizer will seat the checks.

If you have questions about RD molds, Michael has his own site set up that gives deminsions etc.

dubber123
02-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I have a Lyman, and had to hone a die out so that my RD boolits sized on the large side. .459" is the largest commonly available, so you either have to hone one out, or have one made.

Buckshot here on the forum makes great size dies, and they aren't any more than factory dies. I size to .460"+ for my Marlin, with no problems. I am sure the RD mould will cast at least that large, it's one of their chief advantages when it comes to Marlins.

WHITETAIL
02-22-2009, 08:46 AM
:redneck:Crazyjz, Welcome to the forum!

WHITETAIL
02-22-2009, 08:52 AM
:holysheepSounds like you know what you want.
I was in the same boat as you.
What I did was buy a RCBS mould and
lapped it out to .460.
Then I size the boolets to .459 and load
it in the Cowboy.
The boolet that shoots great for me is
45-405-FN.

44man
02-22-2009, 09:02 AM
:holysheepSounds like you know what you want.
I was in the same boat as you.
What I did was buy a RCBS mould and
lapped it out to .560.
Then I size the boolets to .549 and load
it in the Cowboy.
The boolet that shoots great for me is
45-405-FN.
Hey, your digits danced on the wrong numbers! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
The Lee dies are the easiest to lap out.

WHITETAIL
02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
[smilie=b:44 MAN Thanks!

EDK
02-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I use my STAR with a .460 sizer for the RCBS 300 gas check boolit, but will be getting the RANCH DOG mould in the near future (components are priority #1 right now!) They have the LEE push through sizer in the proper diameter, as well as the moulds. The "double dip" procedure he suggests works well for my 44s. While it is a little messy and time consuming, it isn't like you would be needing hundreds of boolits a day.

I have two 1895 Cowboys and prefer the lighter weight boolits. I think RANCH DOG had six cavity moulds available in 350 grain recently...much better quality than the two cavity and production speed. Read up some on the LEE so you'll understand its quirks and then get busy.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: