PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Slugging

45redhawk
01-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I am planning to begin casting for my revolvers in the near future and my first equipment purchase will be a mold.I intend to slug the barrel on both my 45 colt redhawk and my mod. 25 S&W before I buy the mold.
I have a question about slugging revolver barrels that maybe the fine folks on this forum could answer for me.The soft lead slug driven through the barrel will take on the size of the tightest part of the barrel.If the mold throws a bullet the proper size for any tightest part of the barrel then sometime in the future the barrel is lapped to relieve the tight spots then will the mold have to be replaced with one that makes a larger bullet?

Thanks

Ricochet
01-27-2006, 01:40 PM
It's more important to make your bullets a tight fit in the chamber throats than in the barrel.

454PB
01-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Not only that, but moulds usually cast too large anyway. If you latter need a larger size, just change sizing dies.

fourarmed
01-27-2006, 01:54 PM
A lot depends on how tight the tight spots are. My Bisley .45 Colt has a really tight spot where the bbl. screws into the frame. I have run around 36 lapping bullets through it, and it is still there. I may have enlarged it a few tenths of a thousandth. Probably half a thou would eliminate it, so the increase due to lapping is pretty small. I would not worry about it unless you got a marginal mold to begin with.

44man
01-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree with Ricochet, fit to the throats and forget the barrel. If it leads bad or accuracy is bad then do something with the bore like fire lapping. But make sure you exhaust every load change, alloy change, boolit and lube before hand.