PDA

View Full Version : Casting My Own ---

Ron B.
02-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Good Colorado morning!
A confession of sorts; I've been casting now for about 4 years. I use RCBS ProMelt Casting Rig. The temperature dial reads up to 850 degrees. I've learned to turn ithe rheostat up all the way, and leave it there. I try maintaining the temperature of my lead in the 800 range, never allowing the level in the pot to get below halfway. To better control heat, I simply cast alternating between 3 to 4 molds; at times, some aluminum. My steel Saeco, Lyman, and RCBS molds seem to handle/distribute heat better than the several Lees I have. I like my Lees however. Unlike many, I like to see a slight frost on my bullets. When I reach this level of heat, my castings are good and solid. Too much frosting, I know to give that partiicular mold a break.

I've got a picture here of my mold storage system below. Those magnetic strips are ideal, IMO for hanging/holding molds. I also leave lead stored in my molds. Here, in the mountains of Colorado we have very low humidity. So, rusting is not an issue.

Being I recycle much of my lead, having my own berm/range to collect from, my mix of alloy is a mystery. I'd like to say I know the hardness and content of all my mixtures; just not true. And, there is really no way to tell. Funny, shooting my 45-70, 45LCs, 32-40, 38-55, 50-70s, I prefer my bullets to be softer, than harder. I just have better luck with accuracy. And, absolutely no leading.

Thanks for letting me share a little of my knowledge; though flawed it probably is. :)

Hey Ken,
Your pictures look just like mine! Thanks Buddy for helping me out! :)
Here's a better one of my casting area ---

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/PannedCastArea.jpg

Here's an area I try my best to avoid; a GunNutz is always in there!
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/RELOADROOM.jpg

GRB

qu3st
02-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Looks cool to me!
qu3st

45nut
02-21-2009, 02:50 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/ProHeat.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/Molds.jpg

nice set up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/other%20guys%20stuff/MoldTrack.jpg

I rotated the last pic :)

Ron B.
02-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello Don!
You made it! Welcome over to Cast Boolits!
You'll find a good mix of folks here! And, quite knowledgeable!

GRB

Ron B.
02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey 45nut!
I noticed you straightened up my flue! Dang, I couldn't figure out where that smoke was coming from! Thank you, Thank you! :)

Take care my friend,
GRB

No_1
02-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Roy,

Welcome to the mix. I really like your setup. The magnetic strips do look like the way to go for hanging moulds since you can see what you have when you want it. My moulds are all in boxes and I have and excel spreadsheet to keep track of them but I sure wish I could just see them hanging there. Your work bench looks very sturdy with that solid top and that wood stove would make for cozy casting during the colder days. The fire bricks on the stove, do you preheat your moulds up there? I was looking at the stuff in the casting bench picture, I see the safety glasses (safety is good) and the red cylinder near the pot. Is that wax for fluxing?
I look forward to reading of your casting / shooting experience.

Robert

BTW, I see a lot of Seaco mould handles there. I would guess that you are a big Seaco fan? Tell us about those.

Ron B.
02-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Good morning Gang!
#One, thank you for commenting!

Yes, I should have panned back a tad with my photo taking of my molding bench. My wife's FJ was parked in the garage also; and I was just too blame lazy to move it! Lol! My work bench came from Sam's. It's very well made; and priced good too. Plus, it's not too deep to cause problems in the garage. I may post a better photo of it later, if anyone cares to see it in better detail.

The red cylinder is actually a stick of wax (as you guessed) for fluxing.
Although, I use several products; such as from Brownell's abd Frankford also.

The fire bricks were extras; nothing to do with my casting but that's a great idea. The steel pan (on top my smelting pot) is normally sit to the side; used for waste. The steel plate beneath it is where I normally sit my molds; when casting.

Yes, Saeco molds are top notch. I failed to mention my H&Gs; love those too. It's funny, I never met a mold I didn't like! Lol!

Hot lead burns; be careful!
GRB

montana_charlie
02-22-2009, 12:41 PM
My wife's FJ was parked in the garage also; and I was just too blame lazy to move it!
I'm probably wrong, but I translate 'FJ' into 'FJ-40'.

I think any female who would choose an FJ-40 as 'her car' would have to be one fun lady...
CM

Ron B.
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Mr. Montana Charlie,
Nice to meet you too!
You are probably wrong; "FRIGGIN JALOPY!" :)

No, it's one of those new model FJ Cruisers. My loverly wife, Arlyn wrecks them so often, I just bought her two. One's mellow-yellow; the other; gray day. Don't dare tell her I told yall! Lol! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Thanks for the humor, I love it!
GRB

montana_charlie
02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
No, it's one of those new model FJ Cruisers.
Actually, that's kinda close. The FJ-40 was the spartan-like Toyota Landcruiser.
CM

Ron B.
02-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Hey CM,
I know the model well; always liked them! But, they rode like a carriage! Lol!
One of my neighbors was trying to sell me one; he got tired of it taking up room in his garage. I bet his wife had a special name, or two for it also!

GRB

montana_charlie
02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I had one for seven years...and was quite proud of it.
It was my go-to-work and go-hunting vehicle, and I made two round trips in it between Montana and Mississippi.
But, I must admit those were 'long drives' in that puddle jumper...
CM

Ron B.
02-24-2009, 03:04 AM
What part of Mississippi; if I may ask?
I'm from Natchez.

GRB