PDA

View Full Version : Elephant powder source? Ohio?

wonderwolf
02-21-2009, 02:23 AM
I usually get my "cheap" black powder from a friend of mine who does a lot of civil war reenacting. I do gun work for him and his rifles and he keeps me in black powder. Until recently, he has really been dropping the ball on me lately. The guy with the reenacting outfit he runs with I think gets their black powder from a fireworks store either in Ohio or in Indiana? Like a big bag of it or lots of tins. then they split it up..its rather cheap and my sharps actually shoots ok with it out to 200 yards. Anybody give me a known source for this stuff around NW Ohio? I know where I can get tons of cannon grade stuff...but that doesn't work for the sharps so well lol

Buckshot
02-21-2009, 04:43 AM
..............Elephant Powder company hasn't been in business for a couple years. I'm thinking 3-4 years as a matter of fact.

...............Buckshot

cajun shooter
02-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Wonderwolf, In this part of the country the reinactors of the Civil War use the cannon grade of BP. They use 5FA which has a lot of grains in the 3Fg range. The 4FA has a lot of the 1Fg range grains. I have used the 5FA in CAS without a problem. Plenty of fire and smoke for the short distance we shoot. I've just finished loading some shotgun shells with the 4FA to try. If you go to the Skyllghter site they have a good chart and description of the grades for you to look at. The blasting grades can be purchased for aroung $9.00 a pound in some areas.

Boz330
02-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Deer Creek Products, Waldron IN, about 50 miles NW of Cincy, off of I-74. He may not have Elephant anymore but he carries Lidu if your looking for cheap, last I got was $6 a lb. It is cheaper by the case. It is dirty as hell unless you sift it But he also carries Goex and Swiss. His prices are some of the best around, especially if you can pick it up. Phone (765)525-6181.

Bob

Don McDowell
02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Goex Cartridge is available in 25lb bags. I'm not real sure but I think that their regular grades of 1,2 and 3f are also available in bags. The price last year for Cartridge in the bag was about 9$ a pound.

KCSO
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Doc Carlson at Upper Missouri 402-388-4844 was the main distributor of Elephant when they were in business. They had an ooops a few years ago and were gone like a flash in the milling room. If anyone would have any Elephant left it would be him.

waksupi
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I believe it was a flood, rather than a flash.

wonderwolf
02-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Goex Cartridge is available in 25lb bags. I'm not real sure but I think that their regular grades of 1,2 and 3f are also available in bags. The price last year for Cartridge in the bag was about 9$ a pound.

Sounds fairly good to me, where was this?

opentop
02-22-2009, 02:35 AM
If you can drive down just below Indianapolis, I belive Deer Creek is your best bet.

HBAR2989
02-22-2009, 09:09 AM
The Log cabin shop in Lodi, Oh. is a big black powder distributer. Might want to check with them.

Don McDowell
02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Wonderwolf Bear River Powders in Evanston wy will sell it that way, as will a couple of others.
Go to the Goex site and contact the distributor/dealer nearest you

Charlie Sometimes
02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I think I remember reading that the Elephant Powder factory in South America blew up about 8 years ago. Flood might have got the distributor, though. I still have 4 lb. of Elephant FFg!
I would like to find someone close to me that stocks BP year around.

shooter575
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Charlie Sometimes. I get mine in Winchester Va. I go there a couple times to shoot and they have the best selection I know of,all mfg. 25 lb baggie for 248.00 last spring of goex.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Buckshot
02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
I think I remember reading that the Elephant Powder factory in South America blew up about 8 years ago. Flood might have got the distributor, though. I still have 4 lb. of Elephant FFg!
I would like to find someone close to me that stocks BP year around.

..............The Elephant facility DID have an explosion, but it was a flood that ended things for them. A shame too as until Elephant showed up Goex had the show to themselves and were a bit less then customer responsive. Elephant on the other hand was listening and very willing to try and accomodate the customer. The company was offered for sale. I don't know if it was privately held, a partnership or what.

While the deal was being worked out (the plant needed upgrading and modernizing) the whole facility was flooded and sustained considerable damge, to which the prospective purchaser wasn't prepared to foot the bill for, plus upgrading and I guess the original owner wasn't either.

..............Buckshot