PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit accuracy...what should I expect?

ChuckS1
02-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I have a CZ 527 in .223 with a 1:12 twist barrel. It shoots one-hole groups at 100 yards all day long with 40 grain V-Max and 52 grain hollowpoints. But today, I tried out some loads with linotype RCBS 22-55-SP and 6.8 to 8.2 grains of Unique in .2 grain increments. Accuracy was disappointing with most groups being 3" or more.

I knew not to expect the same level of accuracy as the jacket bullet loads, but really not sure what constitutes an "accurate" cast boolit load. I think that I should be able to get a 1-2" group at 100 yards, but this being my first experience with cast rifle loads, wanted to see what more experienced folks are getting. Thanks.

Dale53
02-20-2009, 09:55 PM
You can get EXCELLENT accuracy with cast bullets but you have to have a good bit more knowledge (gained mostly by reading here and DOING) than with jacketed bullets. As an example my Schuetzen bench gun gives me 1/2 minute groups at 200 yards (under 1" at 200 yards). That of course is from a "made for it" match rifle. My .221 Remington TC Contender Pistol gives me consistent 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I only have a 2 power scope on it and the performance at 100 yards is governed more by the scope power (you can't shoot any better than you can see) than it is by pistol limitations.

You, of course, need a rifle that has a good, smooth barrel, and VERY good bench technique plus the experience to get the most out of cast bullets. You also need a fair bit of "wind doping" ability to go with it and you are on your way. Just keep shooting.

Once you learn all you get is FUN and SATISFACTION.

Good luck.

Dale53

carpetman
02-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Chucks1-- I use the same bullet you're using the RCBS 55 grainer and in my Win mod 70-.223 I dont even do as good as you are doing. Same bullet in my .222's and 22-250 shoots real good.