PDA

View Full Version : Pitzer Bullet sizer and luber

roysha
02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Some years ago Brownell's sold a bullet sizer that was for all intents and purposes, a Star laid on it's side. The brand name was Pitzer, as I recall. At the time I was unable to afford one and by the time I could afford one, they were no longer available. Has anyone seen or used one? I have advertised in several forums over the years for one but to no avail. So... If anyone knows of one for sale or information on locating one, I sure would appreciate it. Yeah, I know I should post this on the wanted forum but I have in the past, and received no responses so I thought I would come to the source, so to speak.
By the way, I really don't need one since I have my Star sizers but I sure would like to have one for the hell of it.

klw
02-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Some years ago Brownell's sold a bullet sizer that was for all intents and purposes, a Star laid on it's side. The brand name was Pitzer, as I recall. At the time I was unable to afford one and by the time I could afford one, they were no longer available. Has anyone seen or used one? I have advertised in several forums over the years for one but to know avail. So... If anyone knows of one for sale or information on locating one, I sure would appreciate it. Yeah, I know I should post this on the wanted forum but I have in the past, and received no responses so I thought I would come to the source, so to speak.
By the way, I really don't need one since I have my Star sizers but I sure would like to have one for the hell of it.

Never heard of these. Have you asked this question at:

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl115partial.pdf

jameslovesjammie
02-21-2009, 01:16 PM
That is a neat looking little sizer!

I had to laugh, though. Bottom of page 41 on the Rifle article..."Another product, just as popular today as it was when introduced in the mid-30's, is the Star lubricator." -Rifle Magazine 1985.

And just as true in 2009.

NoDakJak
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I too would like to have one of the Pitzer Sizers. As a young GI, I never had the money to afford one. Now I can't find one. As an aside, I went to school with one of the Pitzer boys backin the mid fifties. I don't know if it was him or one of the relatives that made the tool though. Neil

NoDakJak
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I finally found the product test report on the Pitzer Luber/Sizer. It is in the May/June 1985 issue of Handloader Magazine. It sure sounds like a modifird Star design. I wonder if it used Star sizing dies? The test article was written by none other than "Mike Venturino". Do you remember anything about this Mike? This is the only thng that I remember seeing writen on this machine. If I remember correctly the machine had been available for several years before this article was published. Neil

Le Loup Solitaire
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
This machine was mentioned by Dean Grennell in first or second edition of "The ABC's of Reloading. He was using it and reported favorably on it. Also showed a picture of it in use. LLS

Mike Venturino
02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Funny how memory goes, I don't remember anything about it.

MLV

fourarmed
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17528&highlight=pitzer

Here is a picture of mine I posted some time back.

oso
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Neil, the Pitzer uses its own dies, not Star sizing dies.
As for heating, the Pitzer had a hole bored in the base behind the lube reservoir to accept a soldering pencil tip.

Alex
10-17-2009, 08:02 PM
To whoever is interested,
I have a Pitzer sizer/lubricator that I bought from Brownells about 20 years ago. Internally it's clean as a whistle. There is some rust (scale) on the lever arm and on the round knurled nut at the top of the pressure cylinder. Other than that, it's like new. I also have dies for it in 38 and 41 calibers. Anybody interested can email me although I'm generally only available on the weekends.

Alex

"Si vis pacum, para bellum." (If you seek peace, prepare for war.) ~ Flavius Renatus (circa 338 BC)

NoDakJak
10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Alex Did you recieve my E-mail? I am interested in aquiring your Pitzer Sizer. NoDakJak

Alex
10-24-2009, 07:02 PM
NDJ,
Yeah, I got your email. Tried to reply but the mail server said it was 'undeliverable'. Anyway, I stirred up a hornets nest here at home over this lube/sizer. Nobody wants me to let it go. All counties have been heard from now (Wife, son, casting buddies, etc.) and the concensus is "keep it". Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up. I guess now I'm gonna have to get Lathesmith to make me some more dies for it since I've only got the 357 and 41 now. Anybody know how I can hook up with Lathesmith. I've heard he's a real pro at making sizing dies.

Alex

Don't just shoot until you think it's dead, keep shootin' until IT thinks it's dead.

canyon-ghost
10-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Alex, you'll find Lathesmith down the page in the Vendors and Sponsors classifieds.

Ron:coffee:

cabezaverde
10-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I saw one on ebay about a week ago.