PDA

View Full Version : .41 Bisley

doghawg
01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
My dealer had a .41 mag Bisley Hunter that was on clearance for $449.00 and I thought about that for a while. THEN they put on a 10% off on all clearance items sale on and you can quess what happened then. When I got to the range it was fed 5 different loads that have worked out well in years of tinkering with .41's.

To make the story short but not sweet.........I'm not happy. :violin: Group sizes averaged 3" at 25 yards from a rest! I never disassembled the gun when purchased. (I know, I know) :rolleyes: When I got it home it made sense why warm loads tied up the cylinder some after firing all six. The chambers are rough as a cob and the throats look like they were done in a high school machine shop class. The feeler gauge showed a B/C gap of from .008" to .009".

A phone call to Ruger resulted in a terse little sweetie telling me that Rugers accuracy "standard" is TWO INCHES AT FIFTEEN YARDS and that if the gun met that level of accuracy they wouldn't do any thing with it.

I own other Rugers that are good quality and accurate but weren't produced recently. I'm not going on an anti Ruger tirade here but would advise anyone considering buying a new one to look it over carefully. This is probably the last new Ruger for me........I'd rather have a few really GOOD guns than a safe full of CRUDE and half-assed stuff!

Randy

9.3X62AL
01-27-2006, 12:49 AM
A lot of firearms need to be finished by their buyers after purchase. Any chance the chambers or throats would polish out? The cylinder "excess range" dimension is a little more complex.

Sorry to hear this.

Buckshot
01-27-2006, 08:13 AM
...............It IS a sad thing that they would accept such accuracy standards as "Within Spec". However accuracy IS an arbitrary thing and I suppose they had to pick some number or use a representative result from a sample production run?

What irks me is something so simple and basic as the barrel groove, chamber mouth dimensions. Someone with a 45 Colt that won't shoot finds out the chamber mouths are .449" and the barrel groove is .452" and is told, "It's within our spec".

Now hold on a sec here. They've been making revolters for what, 165 years or so? Isn't that one of the very basic of basic's? Probably #2 right after chamber/barrel alignment?

It would seem to me that 3 or 4 things that are "Within Our Spec" taken individually may be one thing, but taken all together adds up to one real *** lemon of a shootin iron!

The gunsmith I use specializes in tactical and competition rifles. He builds them for Creedmore Sports and does all the local LEO rifle stuff. He has customers that will buy a brand new rifle and never fire a shot out of it. They pick it up and drive directly to his shop to be 'fixed'. Even though they've paid $7-800 for it, they've done it enough to not even bat an eye at the extra it's going to cost to make them right. Kinda like a kit.

....................Buckshot

doghawg
01-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Went to the gunshop today and the Ruger is history. There was a Performance Center 657-3 that came in today and I traded the Bisley on it along with more boot money than I want the wife to know about. It shows very little use and the trigger pulls D/A and S/A are outstanding along with having smooth chambers and throats. This gun has the intergral built in Weaver mounting rail on the barrel and it has what appears to be Magna-porting but I'm told is done by the PC. Hope this thing will shoot better than the Ruger did!

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Ive fourn with ruger its best to just send the gun in with a letter about what you dont like rather then contact them first. If they have the gun there theyll ususaly fix it but if you call them they will do about anthing to keep you from sending it.