PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook?

jeff423
02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
The one I'm using says 1973 - should I get a newer or current version?

Thanks,

Jeff

BCB
02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
jeff423,

Mine says 1980/3rd edition. Probably newer ones available?...BCB

Bret4207
02-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Don't bother. The older ones had the same info. In fact, I think the 1st edition is the best and I have all 3. The last one, 3rd edition, has John Barlow on the cover and is the most recent.

1Shirt
02-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I buy a new one every time one is published and printed. Have probably over a dozen from times past, and refer to them often. That said, I buy the new ones for comparison with the older ones, and because of the introduction of new powders not listed on the older manuals. Another reason that I review and compair is that some of the loads listed in the old manuals were for older powder that still carries the same number but now has a slightly different burning rate. 2400 comes to mind here as well as unique. Loads with these two powders from 20 or more years ago, seem to be appreciably different pressure wise from the stuff in the cans purchased today. Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

afish4570
02-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Lyman #48 is the latest I believe. Powder burning rates and newer powders and calibers listed are some of the reasons to keep up on the newer reloading manuals. Then again the older books also list loads dropped and not listed in the new books. Older used copies can be bought on Albris and Finders Cheapers books etc. I picked up a few Gun digests I was missing too (they come out annually) prices are alot less than the current year....check it out.afish4570:Fire::Fire:

Shepherd2
02-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Lyman came out with Reloading Manual No. 49 just recently. The current edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook(the one Bret4207 referred to) has been around for years.

Bret4207
02-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Okay- lets get something straight guys- He's asking about the Lyman CAST BULLET HANDBOOK. There are only 3 editions of that one. The First one is an orangish Old West Theme IIRC, the second grey with a scoped bolt rifle and the 3rd and last a much larger format with a brownish color and pics of John Barlow and other old looking stuff on the cover.

The Lyman Reloading Manuals....my goodness, there's bunches of them. I must have 5 or 6 myself, plus the specialty jobs.

dromia
02-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Basically you need all three editions of the Lyman Cast Bullet handbooks as they are a mine of information.

If you don't have the third edition with Mr Barlow on the cover then I would suggest you get a copy and you'll see how its moved on a bit from your one.

As the previous editions have both become collectors items its would be as well to get the third edition whilst it is still available. :-D

1Shirt
02-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Tis true on the Lyman Cast Blt manuals, and have all of them. However that said, the Lyman Reloading manuals (Current #49) has both jacketed and cast data. Not as much cast data as in the Cast Blt Manuals, but in all probability the most popular for cast. In my opinion, you can never have to many reloading manuals of all denominations.
1Shirt!:coffee: