02-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Ok guys give me some causes of leading
Springfield XD
45acp
tumble lube 230gn trunacated cone
wheel weights for casting
5.2 gn unique
lee alox lube
I have some that lead now the first couple hundred didn't could be that I didn't use enough lube looking back at the bullets but I did read on here that some people use baby powder on them th help with the stickyness I wonder if that could be the problem. I have relubed the bullute really well and am going to do a test 25 without powder and 25 with but that will be tomorrow.

Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

Sprue
02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Have you slugged your bbl? Are you using a propperly sized bullet? I always got leading using alox and TL styles . Others have good luck with it.

My leading issues disappeared when I got away from TL boolits and started using conventional lubes w/ grease grooves.

mdgyro
02-21-2009, 08:47 AM
yes I have slugged it and sized all bullets to the proper size I will do the test today if that doesn't work I will probably go to a groove lube

runfiverun
02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
try letting the alox dry.
do a first coat cut with mineral spirits and let dry then a second coat and let dry. each coat will take a few days to dry.

R.C. Hatter
02-22-2009, 11:32 PM
A. Too small bullet diameter, which allows gas blow-by to melt the side of the bullet and deposit metal on your bore. In auto pistols use a boolit .001-.002" over the barrel groove diameter.

B. Too soft an alloy and/or insufficient/ poor quality lube on the bullet. Auto pistols generally need a fairly hard alloy to avoid bullet damage from impact with the feed ramp and to chamber reliably.

Bret4207
02-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Have you cleaned your barrel of all fouling? I mean ALL fouling. Are you using a fat enough boolit? Try handlubing a few TL boolits with a different lube. That will at least let you know if it's lube failure.

1Shirt
02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Bigger bullet is probably the answer!
1Shirt!:coffee:

mdgyro
02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I have to test the theory but I think I have narrowed it down to not quenching the boolits when poured. The first ones I cast did not do it and that is the only thing that was changed,I didn't quench the latter ones.

cohutt
02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
I quench all my 45 boolits - both tl and conventional grooved types. 50/50 pure and ww alloy. sized for feeding, get no leading in a kimber 1911

Bret4207
02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Reread your OP, the baby powder won't hurt anything from what I've seen. It's just cornstarch. It might be a very gentle polishing agent, but that's about it IME.

crowbeaner
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
The first thing I'd do is check the barrel groove diameter and the as cast boolit diameter to decide whether you need to size your boolits. Generally, unless you shoot a gun with polygonal rifling or a Glock, .001 or .002" over bore diameter is good to go. Some guns like my old Delta Elite will shoot cast better than jacketed(!). Hard is good when it comes to autoloaders; too soft and the nose deforms and may leave excess lead in the forcing cone and leade where the cartridge case seats. Too hard is only bad if your gun has a tight chamber where the boolit causes the round to not seat fully when the action slides home into battery.

Frank46
02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Try dusting your fresh lubed boolits with motor mica. Boolits don't stick together and
supposedly helps with the leading.Makes them a little slippery so I use small fuse pullers to handle them. Frank

Bret4207
02-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Frank, I recommended cornstarch/baby powder for those who don't have access to Motor Mica or a similar graphite product. IIRC, even graphite has a slight polishing action, but Motor Mica is what I use.

Boerrancher
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
One of these days you all will give up on that "mule snot" and go to a real boolit lube like JPW! [smilie=1: