PDA

View Full Version : shooting with out gas check help.

poisonknives
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
hi i recently stated reloading the 7.62x54r, for my Mosin Nagant. I have already been loading my own caste bullets for my sks. but i found the accuracy to be really poor. i am not resizing and not using gas caps, I figured i didn't need any resizing because both my mosin and my sks bore size are .313 and .312 and the caste bullets come out as an average of .312. but in my sks i have been using the recommended starter load data from hogdon for there 4895, for a 155 grain bullet. some one told me recently to lessen the powder to get better accuracy. for my Mosin Nagant i want as good as accuracy as possible. My question is how much for the 7.62x54r? i am using the H4895 for the 150GR. NOS BT 45 grains for the 7.62x54r. little less than starting load. to get slower speeds how much should i lower the load.

Sprue
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Accuracy is not a given. Thats the joys of reloading, experimenting around looking for the formula that the rifle so desires.

I would caution you not to stray, from the printed data provided by a good Manual(s).

For one, I would suggest that you use a boolit .001-.002 larger than your slugged bore. If you cannot obtain saticefactory results then change powders. Next, maybe try a different boolit type and or weight. Then there are load lenghts to perhaps consider......

Gas Checks, are not necessarily necessary. Depends on what your wanting to obtain. But once you find what your rifle likes, velocity may not dictate Gas Checks.

Keep reading.......and experiment'n

44man
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
You need neck tension so size and expand normally. Use a hard enough boolit so the brass does not size it when seating.
Use a gas check because you are losing boolit length and a drive band by leaving it off. Some guns will not tolerate that.

poisonknives
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
ok, so if my barrel is .313 and my caste bullets are .312, what mixture of lead should i use to keep the bullet from shrinking while it cools? more wheel weights less tin?

Bret4207
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
You can "Beagle" the mould, which is applying thin strips of hi temp duct tape to the moulds halves to hold them slightly apart and gain as much as .003 or slightly more. Or you can go to an alloy with more tin/antimony and the boolit should cast a little bigger.

NSP64
02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
You can use polishing compounds on cast boolits to polish the cavities larger, or use Aluminum tape and place them between the mold halves to hold them apart slightly, increasing boolit diameter.

Or you can paperpatch your boolits(not that hard) up to the correct size.

PS you don't need gaschecks for paperpatched boolits

Larry Gibson
02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
poisonknives

hi i recently stated reloading the 7.62x54r, for my Mosin Nagant. I have already been loading my own caste bullets for my sks. but i found the accuracy to be really poor. i am not resizing and not using gas caps, I figured i didn't need any resizing because both my mosin and my sks bore size are .313 and .312 and the caste bullets come out as an average of .312. but in my sks i have been using the recommended starter load data from hogdon for there 4895, for a 155 grain bullet. some one told me recently to lessen the powder to get better accuracy.

I'm going to be blunt; if you want any kind of accuracy with either rifle use a gas check.. If you really do not want to use them then get some Bullseye powder and be content with 1100, maybe 1200 fps out of each with a mediocum of accuracy. Oh, and by the way, the SKS action will not function.

The 4895 loads for the Lee 155 gr cast bullet are meant to be top end loads for functional reliabilty with accuracy, or at least all the accuracy you will get out of an SKS which sometimes is pretty good. Gas check the bullets and start with 24 gr of 4895 and work up in 1/2 gr increments until you hit 27.5 gr or run out of case capacity. You will be pleased with the great improvement in accuracy.

for my Mosin Nagant i want as good as accuracy as possible. My question is how much for the 7.62x54r? i am using the H4895 for the 150GR. NOS BT 45 grains for the 7.62x54r. little less than starting load. to get slower speeds how much should i lower the load.

Then using H4895 with that same bullet in the MN puts your loads over the top. Much better powders for that bullet weight are 2400, 4227, 4198 and 4759 (I prefer 4759 with a dacron filler). However, if you insist on H4895 then start at 26 gr and work up in 1/2 gr increments until accuracy goes south or you hit 2000 fps. Use a 3/4 gr dacron filler in the MN's 7.62x54R.

If you are casting with WWs just add 2% tin, cast them hot and water quench them right out of the mould. Get the Lee sizing kit with a .314 sizer. Tumble lube the bullets, let them dry, put the GCs on the base and push them through the .314 sizer.

Larry Gibson

poisonknives
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
thank you guys for all the great information.:cbpour:

44man
02-20-2009, 09:57 PM
ok, so if my barrel is .313 and my caste bullets are .312, what mixture of lead should i use to keep the bullet from shrinking while it cools? more wheel weights less tin?
Water drop your WW boolits and do NOT measure for a few days to a week. They will grow larger. Don't size them with a .312" size die, get a .314", then let them age, harden and expand. Just use the die to lube and set gas checks.
Larry gave you some good info.

poisonknives
02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
After i drop the WW's in the water right out of the mold to harden them, do i leave them in the water for a couple days? or do i take them out? and i the hardness after doing this, noticeable with the scratch test?

Ricochet
02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
If shooting without a gas cap is a worry, shoot farther from your vehicle. Or get a new gas cap.

44man
02-21-2009, 08:54 PM
After i drop the WW's in the water right out of the mold to harden them, do i leave them in the water for a couple days? or do i take them out? and i the hardness after doing this, noticeable with the scratch test?
No, just remove them from the water, dry them, size (with the right die) lube and seat checks. Then let them age.

waksupi
02-21-2009, 10:10 PM
If shooting without a gas cap is a worry, shoot farther from your vehicle. Or get a new gas cap.

Especially if shooting flintlocks!

mike in co
02-22-2009, 12:34 AM

well shoot off the front fender of your truck, opposite side from the gas filler , if no gas cap.

mike in co

mooman76
02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
A small amount of filler can act as a gas check but if you are wanting a gas cap on old T-shirt will work, I have seen it done!

KYCaster
02-22-2009, 11:40 AM
A small amount of filler can act as a gas check but if you are wanting a gas cap on old T-shirt will work, I have seen it done!

That may have been a fuse. :wink:

Jerry

poisonknives
02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
lol. Sorry for the miss type. i meant Gas Check. lol

Blammer
02-22-2009, 06:33 PM
moonman, that's a 'molitoff CARtail'.. :)

NSP64
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
CARtail'.. :)

You mean SHIRTtail:D

JIMinPHX
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM

roflol :-D