PDA

View Full Version : definitions

oscar615
02-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Is there a post that goes through the definitions of all of the different the terms you are using? Or a glossary of terms that I am missing? I have been browsing around. And would love to learn to cast my own bullets. But I am truely a newbie to casting. For one, what is a gas check? There are many more. Thanks for any help. :veryconfu

HABCAN
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Oscar, the gas check is the little (usually) copper cup placed on the base of a boolit to seal that base off from the hot gasses of the ignited powder charge, usually employed for velocities over ~ 1,700 fps.

Glossary:
Smelting = Rendering scrounged wheelweights etc., into ingots for casting.
Melt = The liquid alloy in your casting pot.
GC = Gas Check.
PB = Plain Base, NON-GC.
Alloy = your special mix of lead, tin, antimony, etc.
POA = Point of Aim.
POI = Point of Impact.
etc., etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have a problem, and Welcome to the site!

cajun shooter
02-20-2009, 03:44 PM
That's when you look at a mark on the stick to see how much gas you have. Oscar615 , now I will be serious. The first thing you need to do is buy the Lyman Cast Boolit book. It will serve you well now and in the future for reference. Then start reading the sticky section. Read all the material you can find that's posted by Glen Fryxell. Every member on this forum will help but you do have to do a little research on your own. I will answer your first question though, a GC is a copper or metal cap on the base of a lead bullet that is designed to accept it. It allows the bullet to be fired at a higher velocity without deforming at the base. That's the quick version.

leftiye
02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I thought the gas check thing was when you light a match to see by and look into the gas tank (BTW - DON"T do this).

sqlbullet
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Gas check has something to do with eating beans, and being under the covers....

Seriously, though. Google and wikipedia are your friend for these types of questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_check

carpetman
02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
gas check??? not sure. A czechoslovakian abortion is a cancelled check.

sav300
02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Oscar615.take 90% of there guys with a grain of salt! BUT watch out they will slip in good information and ideas in as well.

leftiye
02-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Only if we can hide it very well!:kidding:

Swede
02-22-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought the gas check thing was when you light a match to see by and look into the gas tank (BTW - DON"T do this).

My brother did this when he was about 8 years old. Burnt the whole side of his face. Didn't help much.

I have to say I think you guys are being kind of mean. Here is a new guy starting out and only one of you have helped.

AZ-Stew
02-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Two have helped, but I'll add a third.

+1 on the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. The articles in it will answer many of your questions. It will also take you through the steps required to begin casting good boolits. In addition, it has load tables for many cartridges using cast boolits.

When you're finished with the book and feel you need more info, come here for material that isn't covered in the book and opinions on how to do it better than what is described in the book. As you begin your own casting, you'll learn by doing. But begin with the Lyman book. There's no better place to start.

Regards,

Stew

Cherokee
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
oscar615 - Some have joked around but you have gotten good advice. Get the Lyman book and we'll also help as best we can.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-24-2009, 04:07 AM
Hullo Oscar, you got some good advice along with the
:kidding:

You will find that a lot of short terms in this and other fourms is slang used by casters and reloader/shooters, stick around and read the Lyman handbook, you will pick it up and Enjoy..:drinks: