PDA

View Full Version : Timney Trigger help

Herb in Pa
01-26-2006, 05:45 PM
I just scored a NIB Ruger M77 Mk2 in 7.62x39 and am in the process of installing a Timney Trigger. I've got too much sear engagement with the Timney sear but I have no problems with the Ruger sear in conjunction with the Timney trigger. I notice that there is a very small allen head that goes through the sear on the engagement surface. Has anyone attempted to adjust the sear. I may have to heat it up....the screw is tighter than a bull's a$$!

RayO
01-28-2006, 04:29 PM
I installed a Timney on a Ruger MKII for a friend recently and encountered a similar problem.This particular trigger didn't have enough sear engagement and wouldn't cock.After adjusting the sear it worked fine.I don't recall having a problem getting the adjustment screw loose.

Herb in Pa
01-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks Ray, guess I"ll heat it up, must be locktited in.

lovedogs
02-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey, I just had a similar problem with that loc-tited set screw on a Timney sear. I'd advise calling John at Timney. He will tell you how to heat it to release the loc-tite. I heated and heated and couldn't get it to let loose. Finally, the sear turned blue. John was real nice about it and sent me a new one that was set just right. But if you go out and do it on your own and ruin it you may wind up eating it. If John tells you and things go south he will send you a new one at no charge. My experience with Timney and John was very good. And I'm tickled with my crisp, two pound trigger.

Frank46
02-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Lovedogs, maybe I'm old fashioned but I have been shooting milsurps for a bunch of years and have come to prefer the two stage trigger on military rifles. If I get one with a really heavy trigger pull I lightly stone the engagement surfaces and in some cases cut a coil off the trigger spring. This has helped me get a better trigger pull. For those of you that have some of the finnish reworked moisins with the coil spring around the trigger axel, try removing the coil spring and just use the regular trigger spring. My model 27 now has a trigger pull of about 2lbs is still a reliable two stage trigger. Even passed the slam the butt on the rug test. If this is not to your liking the coil spring can be replaced easily. Frank

Herb in Pa
02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey, I just had a similar problem with that loc-tited set screw on a Timney sear. I'd advise calling John at Timney. He will tell you how to heat it to release the loc-tite. I heated and heated and couldn't get it to let loose. Finally, the sear turned blue. John was real nice about it and sent me a new one that was set just right. But if you go out and do it on your own and ruin it you may wind up eating it. If John tells you and things go south he will send you a new one at no charge. My experience with Timney and John was very good. And I'm tickled with my crisp, two pound trigger.

Thanks for the response...........I've tried to call them and keep getting voicemail......even left them a message with the problem. I sent them an email this afternoon,,,,,,,now to wait and see.

lovedogs
02-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Herb... we haven't heard how things worked out w/ Timney. Did they get you fixed up?

Herb in Pa
03-03-2006, 05:54 PM
I finally got through to John at Timney.....he suggested heating it with the tip of an electric soldering iron and adjusting. I've got to confess I'm still shooting it with the Timney trigger and the Ruger sear it's one of those round toit jobs.[smilie=l:

lovedogs
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Herb in PA... John's a good guy and will take care of you no matter how it works out. As I mentioned earlier, he sent me a whole new sear kit. I've been happy with Timney over the years. John hasn't had it that long but I think it's even better under him. Luck to you!