PDA

View Full Version : Question about hollow-point or hollow-base bulllets.....

Harry O
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a number of hollow-base moulds and cast with them. They are harder to cast with than plain-base moulds. Keeping the pin hot enough to prevent voids at the point of the hollow is a continuous problem. I was wondering if making the pin out of copper or brass would work better.

I have two brass moulds and they cast a lot easier than steel moulds and in some ways are even better than aluminum moulds. Brass heats up fast and holds its heat well. Aluminum heats up even faster, but does not hold its heat well. Steel heats up slowly and seems to lose its heat faster than brass (but slower than aluminum).

Any ideas on this? Does anyone know if this has been tried?

jonk
02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I too love the forgiving nature of brass molds and it is my favorite material, even if I only have 2.

I imagine that it would work but would still be tricky.

Cap'n Morgan
02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Copper is great for holding temperature - that's why it's used for soldering irons - but in its pure form it's rather soft. How 'bout heating the core pin between castings instead? Perhaps use some sort of insulated/heated holder tingy. Also, a shiny surface on the pin will reduce the heat loss significantly.