PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for WW

kendall yates
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Whats a fair price for a 50 pound flat rate box of WW including shipping??

mike in co
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Whats a fair price for a 50 pound flat rate box of WW including shipping??

fair is what you are willing to pay , than the seller willing to sell for........

remember ww with clips are about 25% steel. the lead yeild will be less.
smelted ww much better.

as a reference...my local scrap dealer(still) wants 39 cents per lb......way too high in todays market.

mike in co...

jdgabbard
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't mess with them unless they were already smelted into ingots. Then I would pay a max of a buck a bar.

Ole
02-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I just paid $30 + $12 shipping.

A little higher than I like to pay, but i'm hording lead at the moment, had the spare cash on hand, so I picked up two boxes. :D

Ole
02-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't mess with them unless they were already smelted into ingots. Then I would pay a max of a buck a bar.

The nice thing about smelting them yourself is you know for sure you aren't casting with someone else's smelting mistake.

Woodsroad
02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
The nice thing about smelting them yourself is you know for sure you aren't casting with someone else's smelting mistake.

You got that right.

The only lead I buy is dead soft. Even that is of unknown assay unless it's still in foundry ingot form. There is still a lot of that around, I guess, 'cause I just bought 100# worth from the local scrapyard at .50¢/lb. Pipe and sheets are very soft, too, must be close to mostly Pb.

WW is only trustworthy if you smelted it yourself....

Yeah, WW are .35¢/lb here, too. I scrounge for free ones.