PDA

View Full Version : Keep stirring the pot when casting?

ghh3rd
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
When I cast, I find that I am stirring the pot every 4 or 5 castings. I'm afraid that the tin will float to the top. If it does, it seems that eventually after reloading with ingots several times there would be quite a layer of tin at the top.

Am I correct to keep stirring while casting? What do others do?

Thanks - Randy

snuffy
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Tin and other metals alloyed into your lead don't separate by weight, that's an often repeated myth. Tin does oxidize at a faster rate than the lead or antimony, and it does so at the surface of the melt. Stirring just accelerates the oxidation, unless you are fluxing at the same time.

Once the alloy is up to temp in my pots, I flux it once, then leave it alone. When adding ingots to replenish, I wait until up to temp and flux again, then leave it be until I need more metal. Those that use sawdust to flux, leave the charred remains on the surface of the melt until needing to replenish. This forms a barrier for the oxygen so it can't get at the surface to oxidize it.

ghh3rd
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Snuffy, not having to stir often would sure make it easier for me.

If it's not tin or antimony at the top, what is the extra shiny 'sheet' at the top when I'm smelting? Could it just look different because it's exposed to the air?

Thanks

jdgabbard
02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
The dull grey stuff on top is oxide metal. Usually fluxing with some sawdust will brighten it up. Of course you can use Beeswax, Ivory Soap, ect, as well. If its an extra shiny sheet on top I would say that it is just plain old clean metal. After you first flux you pot usually looks like a mirror. Then quickly starts to develop a layer of oxide on top of the melt. This oxided metal kinda starts to stick to itself and the ladle, so after a little while necessitates fluxing. Especially if you ladle pour.

Hope this helps.

ghh3rd
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Glad I bought a bottom pour - less chance of the bad stuff getting into a bullet. Thanks for all of the info. Now I have one less thing to tend to when casting.

Randy

jdgabbard
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Glad I bought a bottom pour - less chance of the bad stuff getting into a bullet. Thanks for all of the info. Now I have one less thing to tend to when casting.

Randy

Less a chance, but especially for large heavy boolits, there is no substitute for ladle pouring. :-D

Bret4207
02-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Randy

I don't think there's a bit of difference between a ladle and BP as far as dross inclusion in your castings.