PDA

View Full Version : Marinade Magic

versifier
01-25-2006, 11:45 PM
There are two things a marinade does or can do, seasoning, and tenderizing. Some common tenderizing agents for those of us who want to avoid things like MSG and chemical tenderizers are vinegar, wine (beer, whiskey, liqueurs, anything containing ethyl alcohol), and papaya juice (or powdered extract). All of these impart some flavor to the meat. You can add all kinds of herbs and spices for subtle or strong differences. Garlic (fresh pressed) and finely diced strong onion, for instance, can negate the "gamey" flavor of an older buck, ram, or goat. Crushed jalapeƱo or habanero peppers and black or white ground pepper in with the mix can mask the "pissy" smell and taste of an uncut boar, wild pig, or male bear.
They work equally well on chunked meat for kabobs or stew, and they can be injected into roasts.
The best way I think to marinate a roast is to cut it into a long slab about an inch thick, (like peeling a layer of plywood off of a log), giving a much greater surface area on which the marinade can work overnight, then rolling it back up and tying it with butcher's twine before cooking. You can stuff it with garlic, herbs, hard grated cheese, and spices before rolling and tying, too.
For red meats, I prefer to use a base of dry red wine with Worcestershire sauce.
For fowl, pork, and fish, a base of dry or sweet white wine with herbs.
For smoked meats, bases of whiskey or beer work well to complement the flavor.
Add your favorite spices and herbs to the bases and whisk them into it, don't let them just sit and float on the top.
For best results, the meat should be completely covered by the marinade, and it should work overnight in the refrigerator. Gallon sized plastic zipper bags work great as you can get all of the air out of them easily. Never let meat (especially fowl or fish) sit at room temperature for more than a few minutes. The marinade won't work any faster if it's warm, but the bacteria can multiply exponentially faster under ideal (warm) conditions. Never reuse a marinade as the chances of bacterial contamination are too great. You can add it to a crock pot or oven bag for the roasts and stews, or to a stir fry after the ingredients have been seared.

ammohead
01-27-2006, 12:49 AM
I like a dry marinade. I will season elk, venison, antelope steaks then vacuum seal them and put them in the fridge. The seasonings work into the meat using the meats own juices. Then I put a gridiron ribs up on my gas grill set to high till it shimmers. Oil the meat and maybe 1 minute per side to taste and serve rare, really rare. Game steak done right.

The dry marinade works especially well for jerky. No extra moisture to remove.

ammohead