PDA

View Full Version : Knablerbuchsen (Boy's Rifle) in 22 LR

9.3X62AL
01-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna try this again here......I have come into possession of a friend's 22 rifle, an Austrian-made single-shot bolt action affair marked "Mauserlein". If I were better at posting pics, I'd add them--but my computer skills are at the early 19th Century level.

I am seeking information on this little critter, and about all I've run across so far is the generic description posted in the title line above. I've hit Rimfire Central with this same question, and the silence was deafening. Web searches are similarly unproductive. If someone could point me in the direction of an information source, I would greatly appreciate it. The rifle's owner wants to sell it, but I have no idea of its value (if any). For all I know, it could have an esoteric coterie of collectors in the Alpine fastnesses of Austria that would pay handsomely for just this piece......or it could be two clicks to the right of "tomato stake" on the scale of net worth.

The first-year Marlin Model 39 and the Winchester Model 67 that came with this curio are still around, too. I may grab the M-67 and have the foggy steel-tube 3/4" Weaver 4X scope atop it rebuilt, but the little Marlin is out of my league price-wise. Beside that, I already have a 39A that shoots superbly, and if I poured substantial dollars into a 22 RIFLE THAT I ALREADY HAVE A WORKING EXAMPLE OF--Marie would skin me. Emphasis was Marie's.

Like I say--any info help would be appreciated. Thank you!

No_1
01-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Hello DA,

Check this out. http://web1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42870845

Frank46
01-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Does not look liike anything special to me. Forend looks kinda short. And he wants $375 for it. Frank

9.3X62AL
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
That's the critter, sir. Many thanks!

My example differs only in the contour of the cocking piece--rather than the slim "T-profile" shown in this photo, it has a more ergonomically contoured shape that blends smoothly into the bolt body profile. Its barrel markings are verbatim identical, not as deeply impressed in my example.

Well, I think we've surpassed the "tomato stake" description. Dunno if $375.00 is realistic, though. It's a nice little rifle that would fit my grandson in a few years. Its rifling profile is pretty tall, land-wise. I'm guessing by its probable age that only standard velocity ammo should be fired here. I see a possible adoption on the horizon.

Thanks, guys!

Herb in Pa
01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Not sure if this is of any use........... http://www.mauserwaffen.de/index.php?id=107&lang=en

potdrosser
01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Deputy Al. Have you seen the "chipmunk" rifle? www.roguerifle.com Actually a pretty cool little rifle. My SO picked one up for her granddaughter.

9.3X62AL
01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Those Chipmunks aren't a bad looking little package, PD. Gotta keep that in mind.

Herb--I found this same page when I first got the little critter by doing a web search on "Mauserlein". There doesn't appear to be a lot else out there--but I am ANYTHING BUT a skillful user of online search tools.

Again--many thanks to all who contributed here. THE QUEST CONTINUES.

7br
01-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Course you could always pick up a contender carbine for said grandson. A little bit of extra steel and wood, and you would have a .22 rifle for squirrel season, a .410 shotgun for rabbits, a 7x30 carbine for deer, and a 7tcu pistol for shooting handgun silhouettes. My oldest has a .22 carbine now and I have two more of the old style frames rat holed for little brother and little sister. I have a 7TCU carbine barrel that will spit a 120 bullet out at about 2600 fps and keep three shots inside of an inch.

KCSO
01-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Deputy Al

I have a spare Daisy Model 8 22 boys rifle.