PDA

View Full Version : material to harden up pure lead

PMK
01-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a bunch of pure, or some what pure lead, Im liking to harden it up some, is there a cheap source of tin, or atimonie thats avalable?

Cherokee
01-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Cheap ? Wheel Weights are the only low priced (sometimes free) source of antimony, but not in high content. Tin is available in the lead-free products in your hardware store, but not cheap. Linotype is a good source but not usually cheap nor as availabe as it once was. Go see what your local recycle yard has available. That is where I get my supplies.

44man
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Get all the free wheel weights you can and add .4# of tin and .6# of antimony to 20# of ww metal. You can get everything from Bill Ferguson, PO Box 1238, Sierra Vista, AZ 85636. He can also tell you what to add to pure lead for the hardness you want.
Midway also sells stuff like tin and alloys.
Personally, I would find someone that shoots muzzle loaders and trade the pure stuff for hard stuff. Shame to waste it. The good old boys would turn over in their graves!

wills
01-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Bill Ferguson

http://www.theantimonyman.com/

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2006, 05:17 AM
I fooled with antimony added to pure but by the time you buy the antimony and the flux you got substaintial money tied up. Best thing to do is find someone who is casting for black powder that needs the pure and make a trade for some ww.