PDA

View Full Version : Fast case trimming

swheeler
04-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Anybody use the Lee case trimming set-up? I put the case length gauge / cutter in the chuck of the drill press, hold the lockstud/case in my hand, run the drill press slow and trim away. This works very good for me and is SOOOO much faster than the RCBS(used with cordless drill) Sunday I did 500 30/06 in about 2 1/2 hours. The Rcbs trimmer 2 was bought in 1988 for about 50.00, in 1990 it was updated to Trim-pro for an additional 30.00,6 shell holder plates50.00, and 10 pilots 40.00, for a total of 170.00. The Lee cost 8.00 ready to do 1 caliber, each additional caliber will cost 4.00, what a deal!
Case trimming was always a PITA for me, now I don't mind it. The Lyman case prep tool set should be here from Midway, the one made for a hand drill, but it will be used in the drill press too!Fastest ain't always bestest- but in this case it sure seems to be.
Scooter

Ed Barrett
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I have not used the Lee case trimmer, I use a Lyman that I bought many years ago with an electric drill attachment. Trimming cases is sure a PITA to me too. I've been looking at some of those trimmers that use a drillpress since I have a drillpress and it will set and hold settings much better than the lyman. I check the lyman about every 100 cases to make sure it doesn't get out of wack. I was making 9MM Makarov out of 9MM Luger cases, I had a couple of thousand I pick up at the range. I was going along fat dumb and happy until I got done, the last third of the cases could have pased for .380 cases. The adjustment had come loose and shortened them too much. This wouldn't be bad in a rimmed pistol cartridge but in a case that headspaces on the mouth it could really ruin a day.

swheeler
04-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Ed; samething on the RCBS, plus every 5000 cases or so the cutter would were out, they send a new one free everytime, but your still down waiting. The first I had was a pacific tool and die, my nephew still has it and a press made by them, still uses both. This impressed me so much I e-mailed Lee with a big atta boy! Fast and accurate, I guess I will see how long the cutter lasts, even if only a few thousand rounds still a deal at 4.00 for anew one. OMG wish I would have tried it this winter, trimmed about 1200 223 cases, it took better part of a week! Now if the neck reaming goes as fast I will be a happy camper.
Scooter

StarMetal
04-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I have a Forester trimmer and I sharpen my own cutter with so grinding wheels in my Dremel set. I haven't paid attention to other brand trimmer cutters, I bet they aren't too different from one another. All you have to do is study them and then use your Dremel

Joe

swheeler
04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Joe; I tried sharpening them before, while waiting on the mail to come with the new one, it worked. I am just amazed at the speed of this thing, KISS. I guess that case trimming was always the part of reloading for me that sucked, not so any more. The ones I checked were all the same, and feel that this trimmer probably would have better alignment with its full length pilot, more so than the ones that just slip in 1/2 the neck length. Just my 2 cents!
Scooter

bravokilo
04-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Here is what I use. Forester drill press adapter, cheap import DP, plus one standard cutter with the threads turned off (for the really stubby cases) so I never have to move the table. If you go this route you WILL have to make a new collar for the stop. Every one I've looked at has a PLASTIC one!!! I made mine out of some 1/2" aluminum stock.

Ed, DO NOT set your DP up to do this!!! I used this on my floor model one for years. Every #$$%%^ time I needed the DP it was set up as a trimmer and every time I needed the trimmer ..... well you get the idea. Spend the 40+ bucks and get one of the cheap bench models!! You will be much happier, trust me!! How does it work? Well, turning 1000 30-06 cases into 8mm Mauser isn't all that intimidating!!

BK

kenjuudo
04-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I use the simple Lee with the lockstud permanently mounted in a power screw driver. Trim and debur over a cake pan and done. Small enough to drag to work and use at lunch break. Or haul outside with a cup of coffee on nice days.

jim

Bret4207
04-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I used the Lee for a few years. Like almost all of their stuff it worked fine, but wasn't real versatile. By that I mean you are stuck at one length. I had the problem of 32-20 cases being long from the factory and SHORTENING after the first firing. The Lee trimmer never touched brass until I shortened the guide. I know for $4.00 it's not a big loss but it seemed goofy somehow. I have a Forster now with all the goodies and am very happy with it. I also have a Forster DP jig someplace that my Dad used. I've never tried it, but the idea of a dedicated cheap-o DP for trimming strikes me as a really good idea for high volume reloaders.

I'm not taking a shot at Lee here. I use their dies almost exclusivley now. Just have to wash them out good on the first run. Love the collet die and Factory Crimp dies.

Willbird
04-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I like the lee setup for pistol work, most pistol brass doesnt need trimmed tho

for rifles stuff I do not do thousands, so the wilson makes them the same length to the .0001 every time.

Bill

swheeler
04-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Recieved the Lyman power case prep kit Friday, inside-outside neck reamers,L&S primer pocket reamers, works good and is fast! I don't need a dedicated DP as set-up time for the trimmer is a whopping 5 seconds, the old Rockwell works just fine! I can buy the additional 15 case length gauges I need for 60.00, about 1/3 the price of the RCBS stuff I already have. I notice that nobody mentions turning the cutter/case gauge(instead of turning the lockstud) this way you never have to turn the drillpress OFF, until you are done! To change to another caliber takes long enough to turn the case length gauge out with your fingers and screw in the next caliber! Fast and accurate-thats the way,un-huh,un-huh, we like it!
Scooter

cjensen
08-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Here is what I use. Forester drill press adapter, cheap import DP, plus one standard cutter with the threads turned off (for the really stubby cases) so I never have to move the table. If you go this route you WILL have to make a new collar for the stop. Every one I've looked at has a PLASTIC one!!! I made mine out of some 1/2" aluminum stock.

Ed, DO NOT set your DP up to do this!!! I used this on my floor model one for years. Every #$$%%^ time I needed the DP it was set up as a trimmer and every time I needed the trimmer ..... well you get the idea. Spend the 40+ bucks and get one of the cheap bench models!! You will be much happier, trust me!! How does it work? Well, turning 1000 30-06 cases into 8mm Mauser isn't all that intimidating!!

BK
this is the way to go+1

jmorris
08-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Best use of the search function I have seen this year.

Alvarez Kelly
08-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Best use of the search function I have seen this year.

Maybe the poster is trying to reach 25 posts...

jmorris
08-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Maybe the poster is trying to reach 25 posts...

Is there a post quota here like BE, to sell stuff?

Edit: If there is at least he took the time to look up an eleven year old thread vs posting "+1" to 25 threads ;)

big bore 99
08-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Been having good results with all Lee stuff.

Alvarez Kelly
08-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Is there a post quota here like BE, to sell stuff?

Edit: If there is at least he took the time to look up an eleven year old thread vs posting "+1" to 25 threads ;)

I looked it up. There is a 30 post requirement.

Doc Highwall
08-30-2016, 10:39 AM
I have the Lyman trimmer that mounts to a drill press, the drill press stop is the weakest link that affects case length.

I have two Dillon case trimmers that attach to your press using the 7/8-14 threads and accepts a vacuum cleaner to suck the chips up. Works really great, the down side is the cost of the chamber specific 7/8-14 body. The plus side is it sizes the case and trims at the same time.

I also have a Sinclair ultimate trimmer that uses the Wilson case holders and is very exact for trimming, very useful for benchrest rifles. This also has a driver that accepts a drill to power the trimmer.

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2016, 07:00 AM
I have lee and rcbs manual ones, rcbs power trimer and a Dillon power trimmer and the rcbs leaves the manual ones in the dust and the Dillon leaves the rcbs trimmer in the dust.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Lee makes a three jaw chuck for their Zip trim. I mount the chuck in my drill motor and hold the wooden handled cutter in my hand. Goes fast. Making 9mmMak is easy.

BucketBack
09-08-2016, 06:07 AM
I looked it up. There is a 30 post requirement.
Yup I'm trying to get there to sell stuff. It's taking awhile haha

I just started using a Giraud TriWay for 223 Wednesday afternoon.
Once I got the speed right, which was as fast as the drill press would go it cut better without tearing it out of my hand.
Then I wrapped some masking tape around some plier jaws and clamped on the case lightly . Easier on the hand and quicker than The WFT.

daboone
09-08-2016, 08:17 AM

jmorris
09-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Yup I'm trying to get there to sell stuff. It's taking awhile haha

They should change the rules to where you have to PM members with at least 3,000 posts and offer them extremely great deals on at least 30 items first. ;)

zubrato
09-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Best one I've used so far is the WFT trimmers, and outside of that nip the problem right in the bud and get an RCBS X-die. Trim once and forget it.
I'm okay with trimming to convert brass, or bolt action brass but the 223 plinking ammo takes entirely too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou52
09-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Lee makes a three jaw chuck for their Zip trim. I mount the chuck in my drill motor and hold the wooden handled cutter in my hand. Goes fast. Making 9mmMak is easy.

I use the same set-up - 3 jaw chuck in a drill and use the cutter with the ball handle. Trimming goes pretty quick. I also chamfer and debur while the brass is still in the 3 jaw chuck after trimming.

Bayou52

swamp
09-08-2016, 10:07 PM
I mount the 3 jaw chuck in my drill amd the cutter in a padded vis at a comfortable angle. Case in chuck and run against the cutter, Champher, deburr,next case. Goes pretty quick.
swamp