PDA

View Full Version : Can I use any kind of candle wax to flux???????

haff202
02-18-2009, 12:02 AM
My wife has two boxes of friuty smelling candles, can I use these to flux?? I know bees wax is best, but cost is what I'm looking at...I'm not working.

OLPDon
02-18-2009, 12:16 AM
I have used candle wax for my smelting. And its seems to do a pretty good job. As for my Bottom PourPot I use kitty litter.
Don

montana_charlie
02-18-2009, 12:17 AM
A wooden stick is a better choice. You should be able to find them for free, and they rarely smell 'fruity'.
CM

JW6108
02-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I have used candle wax for my smelting. And its seems to do a pretty good job. As for my Bottom PourPot I use kitty litter.
Don

I used it for years when all I had was a pot and dipper. I now use hardwood ashes in the bottom pour pot.

Shiloh
02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
You can and it works well, but is smoky. If outside or in a garage, probably not a problem.
I ignite the smoke with a BBQ butane lighter to cut down on the wax smell.

Shiloh

Avery Arms
02-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Don't go crazy with the stuff, if your melt is hot the wax will burst into flames.

PP

EDK
02-18-2009, 03:46 AM
You can flux with any number of things. I used motor oil or boolit lube for years. Someone talked about wooden handles or chips....I got the saw dust from the dust collector at work. A spoonful on top of the melt works great and I use a bit of beeswax from time to time while casting.

Hope things get better on the job front. I'm in good shape (so far!) where I'm at and at 60 I can retire. BUT there's a bunch of people out there I sure can empathize with. There's a chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times," and I am beginning to understand it a lot more every day.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: