PDA

View Full Version : 16 gauge ammo

wire nut
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
I have a buddy that has a 16 gauge model 12 winchester that is chambered for 2 9/16 shells. We have found 2 5/8 ammo. will the 2 5/8 ammo be safe to shoot in this gun. He wants to keep the gun original rather than extend the chamber. Any one know plwase advise, Thanks wire nut

fourarmed
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
If they will feed and chamber, I would think that the extra sixteenth would not be a problem, assuming they are plastic hulls. The original forcing cones were designed for paper hulls, which are thicker. On the other hand, unless the gun is pigeon grade, perfect condition, and belonged to a former president, I seriously doubt that the value would be hurt by a little judicious chamber work.

P Patcher
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a buddy that has a 16 gauge model 12 winchester that is chambered for 2 9/16 shells. We have found 2 5/8 ammo. will the 2 5/8 ammo be safe to shoot in this gun. He wants to keep the gun original rather than extend the chamber. Any one know plwase advise, Thanks wire nut

I have my great grandfather's model 12 with short chamber's and I shoot Gamebore 2 1/2" shells in it. I buy them from Cabela's or Ballistic products and they shoot and eject just fine. I have also cut 2 3/4" shells back to 2 1/2" and reloaded them with no problem's. I don't think you would have any problem's with the 2 5/8 shell's if they eject ok and are not loaded to high pressure. I would not cut the chamber on my gun as the ejection port would have to be lengthened also. I do know that 2 3/4" will hang up on ejection (don't ask how I know) but have had no experiance with 2 5/8. Mine is a sixteen gauge also and is like putting on an old shoe when you shoulder it They are just great old gun's, treat it with respect.
Addison

Old Ironsights
02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Short 16 ga for old guns can be tricky, but there are a few good MFGs.

I like the 2-1/2 shells from Polywad. The Vintager series is made for low-proof older guns - it also comes in a true 2" shell. The Spread-R series is handy if you have tight chokes.

www.polywad.com

wire nut
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks P Patcher, I had forgotten about Ballistic Products. Wire nut