PDA

View Full Version : I gotta ask those who know.

docone31
02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I gotta ask those in the know.
I have Lyman #17 front sights on three of my rifles. I do love them, as blind as I am.
What in the Dickens is the yellow aperature with the hole in it for?
I went from the cross hairs, to the upright post. That works fairly well. Has any one used the yellow front sight aperature?
I have matching #57 adjustable recievers on them also. To do an heavy barrel Mauser, you need the ATC front sight with reciever sights.

jdgabbard
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Yellow for visibility maybe? I've seen sights like that before, tho never the Lyman. Most of the time they are used so the shooter can tell the difference between the front sight and the target (if black). Same concept the Military uses in "smoking" the front sight. We will use a lighter and put a layer of soot on the front sight to reduce glare, that way we can better see where our front sight is placed.

Doc Highwall
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Yellow is one of the colors used to remove haze and give contrast to your target. Some of the high end sights like Anschutz have 5 colors in the rear sight to accommodate different light conditions.

docone31
02-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I can understand it in the rear sights, but, these are for the front sights.
I am thinking I am doing something wrong, they are useless for me.

EDK
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Try using the yellow shader with any of the apertures. It helps a lot in shady/low light areas. I've had them on assorted 1894 MARLIN 44s that are my "go to guns" for walking in the timber.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

beagle
02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I have used the amber inserts in smallbore indoor shooting. Really works well. A slightly smoked clear aperature works even better./beagle

docone31
02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys.
I built this set up for 100yd target work using both .243, and .308. I also wanted a rifle that I could hunt with if I ever needed to.
The reciever sight is great, but, the front sights are for small bore.
I am still working on a solution for them. They do alright if you can take time to aim.

high standard 40
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
The amber aperture front disc when used with an aperture rear gives you the color contrast you need to center both aperatures. A clear front would be hard to see. In addition Amber is also a good color for the front as it increases brightness and reduces glare.

docone31
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I was thinking of doing that just to try it. I would put the disc towards the reciever sight so only the tip of the post was in the clear.
It has a yellow disc, with a clear cut out in the center.

high standard 40
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
What I was refering to was using the apertures only with no post. Steve Martens sells sight sets for Silhouette use and one set-up is the aperture front & rear. The amber front would give you the ability to see the front aperture which would be the clear hole in the amber disc.

bobk
02-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I really like a globe and a receiver sight, but then that was mostly what I used in my formative years. For hunting, you can hog the rear insert out, or just put it in your pocket. It's a lot faster than the traditional open sight, IMO.
Bob K

Doc Highwall
02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Redfield made clear apertures for their big bore sights. They had a key so they would not rotate in the hood causing your point of aim to change when changing from one size to another or color. They are made with a hole that has a chamfer that bends the light making it appear that the ring floats in the hood with out the cross bar that blocks your view while looking at your target. I have a set of these.

docone31
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
All these inserts have keys on them.
The last time I used aperature sights like these, was in my IMHSA days. I had my XP, and I removed the rear aperature and looked through the threaded portion. Doing Creedmore in the Open class, my rear sight was kinda off easy alignment.
On my Ishy, I have the Williams 5-D rear sight, and factory front sight. A real tack driver. Easy to pick up, point and fast fire accurately.
These......
Meantime, they have these 1" diameter, 34" barrels with the globe in front, and the 57 on the rear of the reciever.
I am going to have to play around with them. The post insert works best. I will try the smaller aperature along with the larger one on the rear. I just put a new trigger in place of the stock milsurp two stage. What a difference that made! It still is the Mauser firing pin sledge hammer, but much more responsive now.
I do not want to put a scope on the rifle, as I had it dovetailed up front.
I just don't like scopes.

Doc Highwall
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
docone31, I have done a lot of research on iron sights for both small bore and high power and my suggestion is use a .044 aperture in the rear and a post that appears as wide or slightly wider then your target. Focus on the front sight!!

docone31
02-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, that is the rub.
No matter what I do, I can barely see the front sight! It is there, and if the light is just right I can see it.
I really do not like to admit the years and their effect on me. I always prided myself on fitness.
I am getting older and pushed things a little when I was younger.
It is not the focus, it is the contrast that bothers me.
I have this front insert that consists of a smaller circle with an hole in it.
You gotta be kidding!
All I see is black, no target in the center.
I never thought I would get old. I acted like it when I was younger.
They warned me.
Doc, you from CT. You ever go to Blue Trails?
I went there for years. Met a lot of folks, learned a lot.

Doc Highwall
02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes I have been there many times mostly for small bore 3 and 4 position. If you are using a aperture in the front sight you are probably making the same mistake that most people make and using too small of a aperture. The white around the aiming black should appear to be at about half the size of aiming black. With a 8" aiming black such as in the 100 yard small bore target you should be able to see the edge of the paper in the front aperture. The hole might look huge but that is not what counts, what counts is how well you do. Try it I think you will be surprised.

docone31
02-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Hehehe, my son used to be a target setter for the IMHSA there. I mostly stayed at the 200yd range after the meets. Me and my old Ruger 3 Screw put a few pounds of lead on the berm there.
You know, those were fun days. I remember the grouchy cook who made the best egg bacon sandwiches. He used to growl at my young son. I got my first Lee Hand Press with DIES!!!!
30-30. My first load.
I got to fire my first BPCR there. A Springfield 45/70. One of the members had one and let me fire it.
Memories.....
We might even have met. I was a member there and it gave me a good chance to get away from the wife. Every weekend.
I found my other inserts. I have the large rear aperature, with the large square post up front.
Almost like a ramp. I will have to try it. If I have to, I can unscrew the rear aperature out and use it that way. Worked before.
Boy, what a difference 20yrs made. My first sight installation was my Savage 110. I put on the Williams 5D, snapped off the tap in the reciever! It ended up crooked.
This one is sterile. Did it in one pass, matter of fact, I used the same tap with all four rifles I put them on.
I did get good at retracting snapped taps out of recievers!
The old days.
That was a good range with some good folks.
I was there the day the Cessna landed in the range. Yuppies wanted to stop the shooting.