PDA

View Full Version : Deal on Digital Micrometer

zardoz
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
To all:

I wanted to pass this along. I picked this up at Harbor Freight store last week, and have been using it on various things in my hobbies.

Today, I took it to the Quality Control Lab where I work, and checked it on several traceable gauge pins and blocks to verify its accuracy. Right on the
money!!

I have a regular spindle mike I've been using for years, but when I saw this, it leaped into my basket almost automatically. Resolution to .00005" The last digit is either a 0 or 5 as a subscript to the large 4 decimal place readout.

It was marked down from regular price, so don't know how long the deal will last.

Link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98485

1hole
02-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I've "saved" so much money at the local Harbor Freight store I've almost gone broke and the store manager knows me. (Clerks don't, they turn over too fast!)

Almost ALL of the HF tools are Chinese, and some of it is barely usable ,but MOST of it is geat FOR THE PRICE! The various measureing tools they sell are indeed highly accurate, according to my own test block readings. The HF dial and digital calipers and micrometers are so inexpensive that any serious reloader can have them, and they should. Pureists who say get Brown & Sharpe, Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc. are right but ONLY for professonal uses. No reloader is likely to wear out the Chinese versions, IMHO. And, if we drop them, none of them will stand the shock so the cheaper tools seems the better way to go! :)

Gerry N.
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
To all:

I wanted to pass this along. I picked this up at Harbor Freight store last week, and have been using it on various things in my hobbies.

Today, I took it to the Quality Control Lab where I work, and checked it on several traceable gauge pins and blocks to verify its accuracy. Right on the
money!!

I have a regular spindle mike I've been using for years, but when I saw this, it leaped into my basket almost automatically. Resolution to .00005" The last digit is either a 0 or 5 as a subscript to the large 4 decimal place readout.

It was marked down from regular price, so don't know how long the deal will last.

Link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98485

HF has that mic "on sale" pretty much all the time. HF stores honor the internet "special" prices. Look at their digital calipers too. Especially the 4" and 6" units.

HF used to have free shipping on orders over $50, no more. I go to the HF store near me, as WA sales tax is less than shipping on most of the things I buy there.

I've heard some guys badmouth HF's stuff, but MidwayUSA, RCBS, Lyman, Frankford Arsenal and most of the others sell the identical electronic Mics and Calipers (with different paint jobs) for about twice what HF does, sometimes more.

I bought 6" and 12" HF digital calipers then modified them to make DRO's for my (Incredibly fun to play with) HF micro mill. Sure beats trying to count turns and convert from metric to imperial on the poorly designed, badly made dials on the lead screw cranks. Much more accurate, too.

I'm not a machinist, but I did see a Holiday Inn near the freeway last week.

Gerry N.

jack19512
02-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I've heard some guys badmouth HF's stuff, but MidwayUSA, RCBS, Lyman, Frankford Arsenal and most of the others sell the identical electronic Mics and Calipers (with different paint jobs) for about twice what HF does, sometimes more.

That's a fact. Just a different color, different name, and just about always a different price. Seen it too many times.

Russ in WY
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
They are a good value for the money. My 2¢. Russ.

PatMarlin
02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
HF has that mic "on sale" pretty much all the time. HF stores honor the internet "special" prices. Look at their digital calipers too. Especially the 4" and 6" units.

HF used to have free shipping on orders over $50, no more. I go to the HF store near me, as WA sales tax is less than shipping on most of the things I buy there.

I bought 6" and 12" HF digital calipers then modified them to make DRO's for my (Incredibly fun to play with) HF micro mill. Sure beats trying to count turns and convert from metric to imperial on the poorly designed, badly made dials on the lead screw cranks. Much more accurate, too.

I'm not a machinist, but I did see a Holiday Inn near the freeway last week.

Gerry N.

Sure would like to see how you make those DRO mods Gerry.

Pavogrande
02-17-2009, 01:28 AM
HF stuff is inexpensive and certainly good enough for "government" work -- But what will they cost when there is no more Sterrett, brown and sharp, etc tools ?

alamogunr
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
My mikes are regular type w/vernier and calipers are dial type. I got some of them at work when everyone wanted the "new" digital instruments. Since I never knew any different, I do just fine with them. I couldn't use the 5th decimal place anyway.

1hole
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
"But what will they cost when there is no more Sterrett, brown and sharp, etc tools ? "

Pavo, I understand your point but it's mostly irrelivant! I mean, those who NEED the high quality tools are likely to keep paying for them. But if we, as reloaders, had to pay $150 and more for a simple 6" dial caliper few of us would have one! Thus, the fact that we are buying the less expensive, lower grade tools has NO impact on the sales for the truly good ones.

zardoz
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
One thing I might note here, is that in my professional life, I have been a Quality Control Manager in the past. I also attained a Certified Quality Engineers certification from the ASQ, the American Society for Quality. Our lab, as many others in the automotive OEM parts business, uses the highest quality mensuration tools available. Precision and accuracy must be maintained on a day to day basis, with repeatability and reproducibility held to audited standards.

One factor, is NIST traceability, absolutely required by the automotive industry, and also an absolute requirement of ISO-9000, QS-9000, and TS-16969. We currently hold all three certifications.

Any gauge destined for professional use in OEM mass manufacturing must be constantly traceable to the NIST standards. This is a major factor in the high cost of such gauges.

The HF mike, DOES NOT include a NIST certification, and thus would be disallowed from any professional use in OEM industries.

As a bullet caster, and hobbiest reloader for personal use, I do not require NIST traceability. I do, of course, prefer the knowledge that my tools are accurate. I checked them myself on NIST traceable pins and blocks, and as such, am satisfied as to its suitability for my application.

Dale53
02-18-2009, 12:48 AM
zardoz;
Thanks for the "heads up". I have all of the quality measuring tools I need (Slocum & Mitutoyo ) that I bought MANY years ago. However, if I were in the market, Harbor Freight would see me TOMORROW.

Dale53

Shepherd2
02-18-2009, 08:18 AM
zardoz - Thanks for the link. Just what I've been looking for.

Ken 45LC
02-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Saw this thread yesterday and had to hit the store last night to get one. Sure is alot easier on the eyes to read than my non digital, and gave me the same results on the half dozen bullets I tried it on.

Now I'll have to look up and see if they make a digital tube mic for those case necks.

Thank you for the heads up.

Ken

3rptr
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm searching out the sources for a digital vernier now...

HF 6" with .001 is $16.99 today, + the shipping.

It would be a 4 hour loop to drive for it. Not good.

Mitutoyo is also putting out a plastic one, 6" model 700-126 offered cheap as $40 + shipping.
I couldn't guess if it's any better or worse.
Probably uses the same circuitboard as the HF CenTech unit.

3rptr

Poygan
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Dang! Sure looks a lot like the RCBS unit (made in China, of course) I bought on ebay a few years ago...at a higher price.

codgerville@zianet.com
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
I just retired as a Journeyman Machinist, and I agree with you completely. I have a good set of tools, Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, Federal, etc. That quality was required in my work. But I also have in my home shop a Harbor Freight milling machine that required a little tweaking to get it accurate, now it will do anything I need it to. Gunsmithing, general fabrication, parts duplication, whatever.

Beekeeper
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Took your advice and went to harbor freight and got a moc and the calipers so I can dedicate them to the reload bench
Checked them against standards and they are as close or better than my regular mic's. May have to go back and get another set.

beekeeper

cbrick
03-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Now I'll have to look up and see if they make a digital tube mic for those case necks. Ken

If you find a digital tubing mic post it here, been looking for one for years, even went to indusrial supply places. Couldn't find one at any price, don't know if they are not made or I've just looked in the wrong places but if you find one I would sure like to hear about it.

Rick

Ken 45LC
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Rick

I just found this one today, don't know much about it yet but it's the only thing I found under $300. www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REMTNM&item=52-9900&type=store

Who wants to be the first to try it? Or if anyone has, please let me know how it works for them.

Thanks,

Ken

cbrick
03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Ken, I just ordered it, when it arrives I'll test it with the 1/2 inch standards I have and report on it.

Rick

04heritage
03-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Reguarding HF tools, I've been buying them for sometime and as with the old saying you get what you pay for> I feel that I've always done alittle better than that with them. For the price if you use the bigger ones for a major repair then you've saved a lot of money. A lot of them have surprised me how they actually hold up.

TAWILDCATT
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I retired as a machinist and have the Starrett and brown & sharp and fowler and on.they are good tools.but I dont think they are any better than the HF.we payed
$150 fo mitymoya? digital vernier so I know them.I think the HF is as good.as to the american comp going out of business.if they do its more because things change than any thing else.how many american machines are there most are japanese.and now chinese.look at south bend.I loved my 12 " had collet closer and a turret tail stock.sold it like a fool to a guy that shafted me.
look at that little cut off saw I posted who makes one in this country.its not use thats killing the country by buying chinese its out liberals that put all the regulations on industry.thats driving them out.:coffee:[smilie=1::drinks:

cbrick
03-12-2009, 11:52 PM
The InSize Digital Thickness Gage arrived today from Sinclair.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/images/gold/full/52-9900.jpg

I checked its accuracy with the 1/2 inch standard I have and its .0015" off at .500" (reads .4985"). That would never work well trying to size a boolit to a bore or revolver cylinder throat. It "appears"to be pretty close down at .009" to .012" on the brass I checked but I haven't anything to test its accuracy with in this range, only at 1/2 inch.

Hhmmm, just occured to me, feeler gauges. I'll see how that works tomorrow. I'll also contact Sinclair and see if this normal for this mic and/or if its covered under the warranty.

Rick

Willbird
03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I like Mititoyo digital calipers, I have been using them since they first came out in the 80's. They are a rock solid tool.

But for micrometers I prefer a mechanical system.

Bill

cbrick
03-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I've had the Mitutoyo digital calipers and digital micrometer since the 80's also. The mic is smash on at .500", right to the last zero at 50 millionth of an inch . . . absolutely amazing. The digital is far easier to read and much faster to use.

Because of this thread I looked around once again and found that Mitutoyo does now offer a digital tubing mic but holy measuring devices Bat Man . . . $300.00, it even plugs into the computer and charts graphs. I just need to know if the brass is the same thickness on both sides and if the loaded NK diameter will fit into a tight match chamber. Don't need no stinkin graphs on the puter!

Rick

gldprimr
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
U R a bad influence.....when I saw this thread last night, I stopped what I was doing and ordered one.

I have a mechanical micrometer, but think that this will be easier to read with my now middle aged eyes.

Thanks for posting the price & link.

Ken 45LC
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Rick, did you ever get around to checking this with your feeler gauges? Still waiting on your evaluation of this before i order one. And what did Sinclair say when you told them it was off on your 1/2" standard?

Thanks,

Ken

garandsrus
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Grafs has this at a better price than Sinclair... Here's the link (http://www.grafs.com/product/230109).

John

cbrick
03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Ken, I did check it with two different sets of feeler gauges (cause I don't know the real accuracy of a feeler gauge) and with both it was off .0005" at .009" to .013". It seems that the wider its opened the more its off. Yes, of coarse I zeroed it before each test.

Haven't contacted Sinclair yet, I'll try to get an email off to them today.

Rick

Ken 45LC
03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Rick,
I don't want to beat a dead horse hear, but I'm not sure what to do with the results you've posted. I would be measuring the case neck thickness to determine concentricity, and what bushing to order for my redding dies (sorry i know that's a sore subject with you). But I didn't want to order the $200 sinclair digital neck gauge either.

Do you think this would be accurate enough for case neck thickness? I just saw the new RCBS neck turning device is supposed to have a micormeter on it. I'm debating on it, since my sinclair model is adjusted without one, I'm trying to decide if a move is necessary. Sinclair stuff is good, but pricey, and the RCBS looks easier to adjust.

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Willbird
03-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Rick,
I don't want to beat a dead horse hear, but I'm not sure what to do with the results you've posted. I would be measuring the case neck thickness to determine concentricity, and what bushing to order for my redding dies (sorry i know that's a sore subject with you). But I didn't want to order the $200 sinclair digital neck gauge either. Actually if your turning necks you can just use a neck turner mandrel that is a slip fit instead of the gage pin.

Do you think this would be accurate enough for case neck thickness? I just saw the new RCBS neck turning device is supposed to have a micormeter on it. I'm debating on it, since my sinclair model is adjusted without one, I'm trying to decide if a move is necessary. Sinclair stuff is good, but pricey, and the RCBS looks easier to adjust.

Thanks for your help,

Ken

If you already have a 0-1 micrometer you can use gage pins and the mike to measure neck thickness. I actually prefer that method, simply slip a gauge pin in that is a slip fit, a few .001 under is ok too, then run the mic down until it press's the neck against the pin, then subract the pin dia and divide by 2.

There is a micrometer called a "uni-mike" that can be used as a tubing mike.
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/16651/nm/Uni_Mike_Micrometers_Mitutoyo_
not cheap either but there may be an import copy, or you might find one on the vil auction site....you can put any kind of anvil in it that pleases you, round or flat.

Bill

Ken 45LC
03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Bill,
Thanks for that photo of the Mitutoyo, it got me thinking. I just looked at my Lyman tube mic and the Cen tech and i think another trip to Harbor Freight is in order. I think i can cut the end off the Cen tech and drill a hole to epoxy in a rod to turn it into a tube mic. At the worst I'm out $30.00, but with some careful drilling I think it may work. I'll just make sure that if anything i set the new anvil where i can file a little off to get it to zero properly.

This isn't real high on my priority list at the moment, but i'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Ken