PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Organizing Information

Suo Gan
02-16-2009, 05:18 AM
In between being a dad, working for a slave driver, honey-do's etc. I like to shoot, fish, and camp. When I can find a spare hour (or more) that I can justify, I will reload, cast, or build something for my personal purposes.

The point is my time is limited. And I want to make this time count. And I usually have difficulty finding something that I have read here If I do not save it somewhere else...

I am sure many of you have developed much more elaborate systems for organizing what you have found here, and compiling them to be read later.

So far my solution is copying and pasteing tid-bits from the board into word documents. I usually do not get too fancy (KISS), but I make a title page, paste an appropriate picture from somewhere in computer land on the cover, and print it out. I then store the new pamplet in a binder or organizer that I can take with me wherever. This can be added to as I find more information, and make adjustments.

For some unknown reason, I understand something better if I read a paper copy, rather than a computer screen.

Do any of you have any further suggestions for me?

cajun shooter
02-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I thought I was doing things ok until I read your post. You are so far ahead of what I do that you would not want me to post mine.

Bret4207
02-16-2009, 09:15 AM
"Running around like a chicken with his head cut off" is the best description of my organizing skills. Sorry, like CS said, you're way ahead of me.

JSnover
02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
You're doing it right, Suo. If a web server goes down or you have software problems, the hard copies will still be there. My computers always die before I save everything, never after. I do the same thing; saving and printing but with an added step or two.
I keep electronic copies in a seperate folder on my desktop and send copies of them to my office computer. The word docs can be opened and modified while I'm online, the hard copies are down in the shop where they need to be. It still adds up to barely organized chaos but at least "I know they're in here somewhere!"

ktw
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
For some unknown reason, I understand something better if I read a paper copy, rather than a computer screen.

Do any of you have any further suggestions for me?

I do this with my load data. I tend to have a lot of load development projects going on at any given time. Some of them extend out over a couple of years. Without good notes I would lose track of what I was doing/where I was going with a load project.

I keep a word document for each rifle. There is a cartridge drawing and throat/bore/groove dimensions at the top of the first page. Next are notes taken from load manuals and word of mouth load recommendations. After that are notes pertaining to my range sessions, notes to self about what worked and what did not, etc. I have a printout of each of those word documents down in the reloading room. I add pencil/pen notes all over them. Once a month or so I transcribe all the pencil scratches worth keeping into the word document itself and print out a new copy for the reloading room.

-ktw

runfiverun
02-17-2009, 10:48 AM
jesus you guys.
i just use a notebook with paper tabs for my final loads.
and a tear out note-pad for my "working" notes.
about every 3-4 months i go through my little notes,and old targets, and up date the "big" book with additions.
then toss out the old stuff, unless it pertains to something i am still working on.