PDA

View Full Version : I took the plunge...

j23
02-16-2009, 03:39 AM
...I had some Cabela's Club points that were about to expire due to a bank buyout, so I decided to take the plunge.

I picked up a Lee Production Pot furnace (after reading several thousand five-star reviews on several sites,) a Lyman 4500, and a Lyman 311041 mold for my 30-30 to get started.

Several of the local tire shops have began to donate some old wheelweights along with the local salvage yard. I cant wait to get started!

Im thinking as cast WW's (12-13 BHN) out of the 311041 with gas checks in my Winchester 94 30-30 at about 1600-1700 fps should make a fine deer load out to 100 yards.

Now I can finally be able to say... :castmine:

Suo Gan
02-16-2009, 05:59 AM
I'd like to welcome you to the board. I hope that you find the answers you need to get you going in this "sport."

If I have a question, I usually do not hesitate to ask, but I have found that using the search feature answers my questions without my having asked them...the problem is that reading, and learning leads to more questions. A kind of self perpetuating boolit education of sorts.

BTW, The Lyman, RCBS, and Brennan book all contain good info that will help too.

Happy Casting, SG

C'mon guys...Bring out welcoming committee!

OldBob
02-16-2009, 07:19 AM
.........and so it begins......... :mrgreen::mrgreen: welcome ! You have found the best place for cast boolit info on the internet, enjoy your new hobby !

qajaq59
02-16-2009, 07:30 AM
I think you're going to like that 311041 in your Win 94. I tried some test loads on Friday in my 94 and my .308 Savage and they both look like they're going to be a decent round.
Have fun... Qajaq

sav300
02-16-2009, 08:01 AM
j23,Welcome from downunder,where it is either on fire or flooding!So far have been lucky,

snaggdit
02-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Welcome! You couldn't have found a nicer bunch of guys to answer your questions (I'm not talking about myself, of course!). If you are like me, you will spend the first couple days just reading older and older posts. There is a wealth of information in these here pages. Even more in these long time veterans heads. Enjoy!

LAH
02-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Congrats................Creeker

Bret4207
02-16-2009, 09:36 AM
You're toast now! Welcome to the family. Question- what are you going to smelt in? Not your Lee pot I hope, not good. Fins a steel or iron pot and a heat source.

cabezaverde
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Could you tell me more about the Cabelas points expiring. I have a lot of those to use up if they are expiring.

HABCAN
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Welcome, j23!! You are now DOOMED, you realize? That mold is my personal preference for a 'flat .30': does everything a boolit is s'posed to and even feeds in my M1 on occasion. Happy casting!

j23
02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
...Im learning already! I guess Im going to have to pick up an older cast iron pot. Thanks Bret4107!

After melting WW's down, smelting, skimming the top scum and placing the remainder of the nice clean WW boolit lead into ingots, when Im ready to cast, I simply melt the ingots down in the lee and go to town? ..or do I have to smelt and skim again?

cabezaverde... I have a Cabelas Credit Card (and points...) throuh my Washington Mutual credit card. I recieved a letter from JP Morgan Chase a few weeks ago indicating that they bought out Washington Mutual. They were keeping my account since I have good credit, however they were breaking their ties with Cabelas. They indicated that if I had any points, to use them before the 15th of February because they were going to expire with my Cabela's Club Membership. So I am planning on cancelling the card and finding a bank which supports the Cabela's Club (there are several...) and signing up. Cabela's in Wheeling, WV is only an hour away, so I frequent it quite a bit.

Thanks again!

cabezaverde
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
j23

Mine is through "Worlds Foremost Bank". They are great.

I have had to protest a charge in the past, and they were the best in handling my problem. You might want to give them a look.

Dean D.
02-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Welcome to a wonderful addiction J23! As Snaggit said, this site is one awesome fount of information and a bit of wry humor mixed in too! Bunch of great people here.

jdgabbard
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Wish we had a Cabelas that close. Closes thing we got is the BassPro about 30 mins away. And I hate that place...

j23
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Ive never been to a Bass Pro Shops. I know their catalog items are outragiously expensive, but then so are Cabelas'.

A while ago, I belonged to a small, somewhat local forum. If I was down Cabelas and they were running a serious deal, usually I would post an URGENT!!! message on the boards.. letting everyone know of the deal. Id give it about an hour or two while I was shopping, and then check the post from my internet phone. If anyone posted back to pick them up anything in regards to the deal, I would, and then send it along to them.. and they would just mail me the funds.

Surprisingly, I never once got burnt. The forum however closed down due to adminstration stuff, and Ive been looking for a NICE place to 'hang' ever since. Looks as if Ive found it!

So if I ever post an URGENT DEAL! message, and anyone needs anything... just drop me a post and Ill try to get it for you.