PDA

View Full Version : Powder Storage Opinions

Lee
02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Due to the recent power outage, I am become the proud new owner of a non-working refrigerator. I currently store my powder in a couple surplus army medical footlockers w/hermetic seal, in my basement.
If I use the 'fridge, and move the powder to an outside shed, will the fridge provide adequate insulation from temperature extremes?
Or would I better store the powder in the 'fridge in the basement?
Or should I just leave the powder in the footlckers, and drop the $10 to have the 'fridge hauled away?
I guess I'm asking if an above ground storage scheme has advantage over an "below" ground storage scheme. Does that question make sens?
Thanks for opinions................Lee

runfiverun
02-15-2009, 11:43 PM
the most stable environment is the one that will help the most....
moisture is as much or more of an enemy as temp swings..

Buckshot
02-16-2009, 02:09 AM
............Extreme temperature swings are to be avoided. Especially HIGHER temps. Heat accelerates most chemical reactions and state changes, like the evaporation of water (boiling), and the rusting of steel, etc. Hercules (Alliant) apparently has some powder (Bullseye, Red Dot?) that was made in the late 1890's and has been stored under water since then. On occasion they pull some out and test a new lot against it.

A good thing about using an old fridge' is that you gain some firprotection due to it's double wall construciton. If it was placed somewhere so it was always in the shade with good air circulation around it, I'd think it's ability to store powder could be a couple decades. That is assuming the powder containers themselves were also airtight.

................Buckshot

cajun shooter
02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
We don't have basements in Louisiana, if we did they would fill with water. I do know that they are part of the main residence though. It would seem to me that the fridge in the basement would be the better choice, so that you would not have the worry of theft or pranks by noisey children. Moisture is a much bigger problem than heat.

R.C. Hatter
02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I believe you would be better off using the old refrigerator in your basement, provided the basement was not subject to flood. Powder storage should be done so as to avoid large temperature swings, and moisture. If the refrigerator seals are intact, it will provide a modicum of insulation against heat & moisture. Also, you'd get a bit of fire protection as well.

MtGun44
02-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Moisture will deteriorate metal or paper containers but does not harm powder.
Best possible long term storage is underwater, not practical for most of us,
but the exclusion of oxygen is very helpful.

Alliant has a batch of Bullseye and another of Unique that have been stored under
water for over a century. Periodically they pull samples, dry it and test with
the same results as 100 yrs ago.

Bill

cajun shooter
02-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Just as they wet down black powder in the production stages. It goes to the drying racks after the final stage to dry.

August
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I have two anecdotes that "speak" to your question.

One. I insulated my garage when we built our house. It does keep the temperature fluctuations down. However, ONCE IT GETS HOT, IT STAYS HOT FOR A LONG TIME. I should have realized this, but didn't -- insulation works both ways!!!!

Two. I have cigar humidors that I maintain year round. I have electronic temp/humidity monitors in them that broadcast to a central data center. It is easy to adjust -- raise or lower -- the humidity in Winter months. In Summer, on the other hand, once humidity goes up, it is VERY difficult, or impossible to get it back down.

So, in the matter of storing powder, I would approach an insulated storage compartment that is sealed with apprehension.

Wayne Smith
02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Keep it in the basement with a dehumidifier running. That will give you the most stable temp and humidity environment that can be easily managed.

mold maker
02-18-2009, 10:25 AM
If the fridge has only a magnetic door latch it will make an excellent powder storage container in your basement. Having no mechanical latch makes it explosion safe, and the insulation will stabilize the temp. swings.
I have stored powder and ammo (separate) that way for over 20 yr. If moisture in your basement is a problem, run a dehumidifier.