PDA

View Full Version : Alternative uses for LLA

lunicy
02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I have tons of Liquid Lee Alox. I don't like it as a lube. What else can I do with this stuff. I won't throw anything away. Maybe someone wants to trade?

Ricochet
02-15-2009, 10:36 PM
It's originally made as a rust preventative coating for steel. Rated for severe outdoor exposure. Works on bolt threads to prevent rust locking, too. I like it and use it a lot as a boolit lube, but I have a whole gallon of the bulk Alox 606-55. It'll keep my bullets lubed for a while.

randyrat
02-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Use it for camping to keep Bear away, they hate he stuff. Just dip some q-tips or sticks in it and throw them around camp. I'd bet it would keep rabbits and deer out of the garden also. Use too much and you could draw in boolit casters so use at your own risk.
First time i used it, i woke in the morning to a bunch of guys waiting for me to build a fire and cook some coffee.

44man
02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Smart caster's mix it with solvent and spray the inside of truck doors and tailgates! :drinks:

supv26
02-15-2009, 11:50 PM
As I was lubing up a batch of CB's this evening I was wondering the same thing. What else this stuff could be used for? I tumble my boolits and then stand them up on wax paper. After standing up 500+ boolits my fingers have a nice thick coating of this stuff on them. I can barely wash it off and so far Dawn detergent is the only thing in the kitchen we have that will cut it. I didn't want my hand smelling like solvent so I just kept scrubbing with the Dawn. Tough stuff!

Tom W.
02-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Isn't it the same stuff as cosmoline?

azrednek
02-16-2009, 12:39 AM

No, cosmoline is like low grade Vasoline.

Tom W.
02-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I know they are both brown and nasty, and hard to clean off something....but I've been using the LLA for some years now..

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Makes good toothpaste...

If you don't want it, send it to me. It's all I use. ;)

crabo
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Makes good toothpaste...

If you don't want it, send it to me. It's all I use. ;)

I always thought that was snuff dribling down.....

44man
02-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Hemorrhoid suppositories? :bigsmyl2: Easy for you to explain stains to the little woman! :mrgreen:

Shiloh
02-16-2009, 10:16 AM

No. Cosmoline is a grease.

But like cosmoline, it is a long term rust and corrosion inhibitor. I think that is/was the original purpose for it.

Shiloh

Boerrancher
02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
I hope that someone can come up with a good use for it. I have several bottles of it laying around and I don't use it anymore as a lube. I may try mixing some of it in with other lubes, but that will be about it.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I always thought that was snuff dribling down.....

Gotta say... the health benefits are about the same... ;)

Actually, I have one of the White Label Lube 32oz bottles already, but back stock is never a bad thing.

For everything I load/cast for it works a peach.

leadeye
02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
It's originally made as a rust preventative coating for steel. Rated for severe outdoor exposure. Works on bolt threads to prevent rust locking, too. I like it and use it a lot as a boolit lube, but I have a whole gallon of the bulk Alox 606-55. It'll keep my bullets lubed for a while.

+1 excellent rust preventative.

unique
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I use it to help 'waterproof' my rifles. Anywhere there are stock end grain like under butt plate, inside stock, also under scope mounts, peep sights...anywhere water can migrate.

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 03:06 PM
It's also a good earwax replacement...

supv26
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
If anyone feels so inclined as to give some of this extra LLA away, I have the perfect place to ship it to. Just let me know and I will give you the address!
[smilie=1:

NoDakJak
02-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I have no concrete evidence but I believe that is the same corrosion preventitive that we sprayed into wheel wells and wing butts on the aircraft when we were at sea. It smells the same, feels the same and is similarily tacky. In the NANavy it was called Peracatone. (Perakatone?) Super effective as a corrosion preventative. We used spray guns with "Stoddard Solvent" to remove it and it wasn't easy then. Neil

RayinNH
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
When I get done cleaning a firearm I then send a patch coated with liquid alox through the bore. It prevents rusting and at the next outing the first boolit goes through a prelubed bore...Ray

Three44s
02-16-2009, 11:21 PM
It's handy as a secondary boolit lube ........ Ie. conventionally lubrisized boolits then lubed with LLA .......

Three 44s

kir_kenix
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I use a thick coat of LLA and a one of those "space saver" bag (bags with a vacuum port to suck all the air out of it) on all the guns I bury....

mtgrs737
02-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Some folks use it as part of their homemade bullet lube, they mix it with beewax and others.

shooting on a shoestring
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
I thin it with mineral sprirts, tumble all my rifle boolits or any boolits that might see long term storage before use, then toast in a toaster oven, lubrisize with Felix lube. Keeps them from discoloring in the Central Texas humidity.

looseprojectile
02-17-2009, 03:18 AM
A mix of Parafine, Alox and Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Used it on 20mm aircraft guns. Washes right off with solvent. I cheated and used it in the bores also. Made cleaning twice as easy. We made our own in the US Navy.

Life is good