PDA

View Full Version : Barnes triple shock and lube

canuck4570
01-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Has anyone tried to lube tripple shock bullet and shoot them...

The Nyack Kid
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Nope havent tried that . before i ran out of money test loads in my 300 H&H was loving the da$rn things.
also they are designed for high pressure firearm cartridges , adding lube would probablely do funny stuff.

MT Gianni
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Very off topic here, an X bullet in 1990 penetrated 54" of Moose loosing one petal and being recovered just under the skin. The rifle was a BLR in 308 Win. 165 gr Barnes and aqbout 2650 fps 20" bbl. Shot was running away at about 80 yards. tehy do penetrate and that remains the only one I ever recovered before deciding they weren't really needed for what I was doing. Gianni.

Bullshop
01-25-2006, 01:21 AM
I like to load a lube wad under any high velocity jacketed bullets. This is described by Harvey Donaldson in the book from Wolf called Yours Truely Harvey Donaldson. He convinced me about barrel life using lube wads in his 220 swift and still getting top notch accuracy after many thousands of rounds of top end loads.. Only thing I do different is I use molly instead of grafite and I leave out the rosin.
BIC/BS

Blackwater
01-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Bullshop, would you mind describing your proceedure a little more specifically? I was always a fan of ol' Harve's. His long life gave an incredible picture of shooting from both the technical and human perspective from the very late 19th century well into the 20th. That man sure could shoot, and I always remembered Harry Pope's comment to him that he was one of a bare few men who "really know how to cast a good bullet." That was when he handed Pope a bullet from one of 3 custom made moulds Pope had made years earlier, and Pope's copy of that mould was lost in the big Calif. earthquake.

Just wondering how you do it, if you don't mind.