PDA

View Full Version : New caster has the hots...

malpaismike
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM
...well, the stove does, at least.

First note to self: if you’re going to buy lead on the ‘net, let the other guy make the ingots.

Second note to self: nothing wrong with being froggy, but smelting 50-100# better than jumping into 400# (yeahbut, the price was right) first time out.

By now you can figger the newbie is in whole-hog. Done throwed my first ingots and boolits—even got my secret-formula-bp-big-groove-boolit lube mold-to-fit-the-lubrisizer done. That said, I can use an idea or two on my heat source.

Production stuff no problem. Recall that 400#? Most is wall-lining-with-sheet-rock-paper pure, but some is wheel wts. I reworked a propane camp stove by moving the burners closer together; used a porcelain-enamel pot for a crucible—can do 70# at a whack. After the first two batches, other chores took over; when I revisited the stove this weekend, something was funny; finally saw the grill was skewed—bent, sagged and legs had migrated ½” or so. I figure I got a tidge too hot.

Any thoughts on a heat-tolerant grill ‘bout 8”x10”, 2 ½ - 3” high? My best idea, short of buying a welder, is 1/8’ black pipe built into a grid and tapped on the “feet” for screwing to stove bottom. Have bent the grill back to service shape – and, yup, I now have a thermometer – but can see the keep-fixing-it-or-make-it-better decision looming.

Appreciate any input. Malpais Mike

mooman76
02-15-2009, 07:38 PM
One of them Turkey friers work great for smelting. You should be able to pick up a cheap used one if you look around. I warped my camp stove a long time ago but it still does the job when needed!

badgeredd
02-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Mike,

I suspect that the grill was never meant to hold 70 pounds of anything. That said, you would likely be better off smelting less at a time. I smelt my WW on an old electric range in a stainless steel HEAVY pot and it'll hold about 30 pounds. Originally I had a cast iron pot with little feet on it and sat it on a steel plate to distribute the weight. DIDN'T work! [smilie=1: Seems that once one gets things heated up to 650 degrees or so, the steel plate was more pliable. You can read that as it bent big time! :-D I learned from that experience. Remember that you are playing with some very hot and dangerous molten metal if things give out and collapse.

Be safe, and smelt less for safety sake. You are probably correct in assuming you need to brace things up too. Like I said it wasn't meant to take 70# of anything, chances are that 20 pounds would be the most the stove was meant for, so I'd probably start around there and maybe add a little to get the capacity of the stove figured out.

I've been thinking that one would be well suited if they would use a smaller one burner propane burner and set it up to be super stable and safe just for smelting. That's my plan anyway.

Edd

malpaismike
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one over-heated. I'll keep an eye out for the turkey cooker. thxnregards. mm

supv26
02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I think you are addicted!!!! I started this little hobby a few weeks ago and still cannot get enough of it. I have enough cast boolits now to last for a few months and enough ingots for a while longer. I carry a steel 5 gallon bucket in the trunk of my car now just in case I happen on to some WW or other scrap lead!
:castmine:

malpaismike
02-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Badgeredd, you win the kewpie. I know I got the pot hot--kept having to stir the tin back in (plated off on my stainless spoon and ladle), but the weight gizzie has me talking to myself. I'll figger it out, though. Stand by for news (sorry, Paul).

Supv26--you got it. I have the double whammy--retired (time and inclination) and fixed income (time to unhinge the opposable thumb and make play cheaper). My addiction is cowboy action shooting, so a match pretty much eats an hour's casting. I just saw round ball at $12/c, so I may think of rolling those as well for cap and ball. Unless I find a tire guy that likes me (we just moved here Aug'07), I'll get my lead off the net. Well, stuff calls. Later, bye.

kendall yates
02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
This is a very habit forming hobby. We were eatin dinner last night and my 5 year old son says "hey mom, daddy got more wheel weights today after he picked me up from the bus stop". Wife just says " you and that damn lead"

Gunslinger
02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
" ...you and that damn lead"

Ha ha I think I've heard that one before [smilie=1:. I got 700lbs stacked in plastic buckets outside my parents garage on the backside of their house. My mom goes "You think you got enough by now"? No mummy, it's never enough :roll:

Tristan
02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Ha ha I think I've heard that one before [smilie=1:. I got 700lbs stacked in plastic buckets outside my parents garage on the backside of their house. My mom goes "You think you got enough by now"? No mummy, it's never enough :roll:

[chuckle]

I remember hearing of a fella that had a friend call and ask if he wanted some lead - seems a project had been canceled (or something) and they had some lead that was cheaper to dispose of than anything else.

Guy says 'sure!"

Friend shows up with a flat bed of multi-tons of shielding lead. Tons.

Man, what a score.

Gunslinger
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah... what a score. I hope that will happen to me sometime....

Or you can say, it kinda just did. I found a scrap yard that has 10 tons of WW, that's metric tons mind you :-D

I'm currently avaiting their call when they've agreed on a price!

Oh boy my moms gonna have my head :roll: