PDA

View Full Version : 7mm TCU pressure

ciPeterF
02-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know what kind of presssures a 145gr (RCBS SIL) develops in a 7mm TCU? Would be useful for determining required bootlit hardness and also if Fed 200 primers are up to it..

thks

Peter

35remington
02-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Without load particulars, nobody can even guess. What powder? What charge weight?

In any event, suggested loads aren't going to exceed SAAMI spec for the .223 parent case. That's all the more specific anyone can get.

ciPeterF
02-15-2009, 09:48 PM
35rem.. thks.. the load would be 25gr of 748 under a 145gr RCBS SIL bootlit. I was hoping someone had some material on pressures from various loads cause all I have listing TCU loads doesn't give any pressures at all...

C A Plater
02-16-2009, 09:24 AM
My suggestion is to chronograph the loads and compare your velocity to what a load manual shows. The same bullet at the same velocity is very likely to produce the same pressure. Assuming a Contender barrel, pressure signs will be fairly easy to spot, flattened primers, sticky extraction, when you've gone too far. That 25 grain load may be just fine in a factory barrel and way too much in a tight chambered short throat custom. My Virgin Valley 6.5 TCU barrel's maximum load for a give bullet is at least 3 grains under anything published. I still get the velocity of the published maximum just using less powder.