PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss .32-20 revolver loads.........

3006guns
02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Embarking on a new project for a gun that I've owned for years, but never shot. It's a Smith and Wesson Hand Ejector in .32-20, probably mid thirties production, mechanically tight with a good bore....and I'd like to keep it that way. It's just not as stout as say, a Ruger!

Although I have some original ammo (Winchester I think), I'll probably order some Starline brass and reload instead. It seems to have a good reputation for being a bit tougher than the standard thinner brass.

I'm just starting to play with Trail Boss powder and consulted their data, but it really doesn't say if the top end load is suitable for handguns. For that matter, it doesn't say ANYTHING. I would imagine the data is geared toward Cowboy Action Shooting but is the top end load designed for lever action rifles, or is it safe in a handgun? My trusty Lyman book specifically states "rifle loads only" and of course is old enough that there's no TB data.

Thanks in advance!:-P

9.3X62AL
02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Dunno about Trail Boss, but the Starline cases are the best thing to happen to 32-20 WCF reloading since I started wrassling with this caliber 20+ years ago.

I have a M&P of about the same age as yours. GREAT dimensions, .311" throats and .3105" grooves. I have a purpose-built 115 grain mould for 32-20 revos, size this flatnose to .311" for the Smith, and seat them over 5.5-6.0 grains of SR-4756, per data from Ken Waters' "Pet Loads". These go right to the sights in the M&P and in a Colt Bisley x 4.75".

In my experience, the 32-20 revolver shoots significantly better with the 115-120 grain boolits, while the 32 S&W Long and 32 Magnum prefer the 90-100 grain castings.

dk17hmr
02-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Trailboss was designed for the Cowboy Action sports.
I have used "Max" loads as starting loads with Trailboss. If you are worried start low and work up but I would have to say you will be fine once up to the listed Max load.

dubber123
02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
My HE 32 WCF S&W is a little older than yours, but pretty close. I am shooting 5 grs. of either Unique or Herco and the RCBS 98 SWC. Groups are hovering around 2.5-3.0" at 50 yds. I just re-crowned the barrel, and I think this will help.

Trailboss may work just fine, but many other powders are perfectly suitable for the old Smiths. Bullseye, Unique, Herco, etc. Have fun, those old guns are a pleasure. All of the Trailboss loads are WELL on the safe side.

3006guns
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone and sorry I couldn't get back here sooner....company showed up. Although I've known about the cartridge for years, just haven't had any experience with it and it looks like a dandy. As I mentioned, my books show loads tailored for rifle pressures only and I wanted something modest. Since I was already playing with the TB, thought I'd give it a try. Thank you for the loads using the other powders.......probably try them too!:-D

Harry O
02-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I have experimented with Trail Boss and the 32-20 in handguns. I have an old Colt Police Positive Special that I load with the recommended 2.8gr maximum along with RCBS 98gr semiwadcutters. Mild and accurate. That is my standard load for that gun now. I bent it about 45-50 years ago with "rifle only" cartridges. I have been very, very gentle with it since then. Before this, I used small amounts of Bullseye, Red Dot, or 231, but I could have accidently loaded two or even three charges in the case. The Trail Boss is about 60% full, so a double charge would be noticed.

I have a newer, stronger revolver (a rechambered S&W NewModel 16) in 32-20. I tried Trail Boss in it up to a case full (when the bullet was seated). From memory, it was about 4.5gr. The felt recoil equal to my standard of 6.0gr of SR4756 with a 100gr jacketed bullet (load courtesy of Ken Waters). Accuracy was OK, but nothing special. The cost of powder was more than the SR4756, so I have discontinued it and am back to the Ken Waters load.

I would NOT recommend either this SR4756 load or the larger Trail Boss load in your gun. Your gun is larger and heavier than my Colt PPS, but not as stong as the new K-frame S&W. If you want to go above 2.8gr of Trail Boss, I am sure that the gun would handle it, but work up slowly and check the primers closely.

Bret4207
02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
That 6.0 4756 is a good one. Works great in my Savage 23B, too much for squirrels though. A Lyman 311316 will do a real job on coyotes with that load out to 75 yards or so.

Harry O
02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I should mention that the 2.8gr of Trail Boss is listed at just under 16,000psi. That is suitable for BP or BP era guns. I do not know what the pressure is of the 6.0gr load of SR4756, but my guess is about 22,000 to 25,000psi.

I have expanded on Ken Waters SR4756 load a little bit. I use that one with 100gr Hornady XTP's. For some reason, I run across a LOT of 85gr XTP's on gunshow tables so I have more of them than the 100grs. I use 6.2gr of SR4756 with that. I also cast 311316-GC and use 5.8gr of SR4756 with that. All are accurate, but the 100gr/6.0gr load is the most accurate.

However, it is getting so that it is cheaper to use scrounged jacketed bullets than to buy gas checks. I almost never see gas checks on gunshow tables.

BTW, if anybody wants to trade their 100gr Hornady XTP's for my 85gr XTP's, I will give you a good deal.

Cherokee
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Really like the old 32-20, let us know how it shoots for ya !!