PDA

View Full Version : Question?

223tenx
02-15-2009, 11:28 AM
When you ship loaded ammo (boxes, not crates), do you do anything special as far as freight declaration (to the USPS) or just package it really well and ship away? I bought a lot of reloading equipment and 10 ammo cans of factory ammo in various cal. and also factory bullets and unfired brass. I'm just unsure about the "Hazmat" designation on loaded ammo and I don't recall seeing this mentioned before.
TIA

Tom Herman
02-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't believe you can legally ship loaded ammo via USPS.. You have to use one of the other carriers and mark it with "ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition".
Somebody on here made a nice colored template a while back that you could print out and attach to your package.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

mooman76
02-15-2009, 12:23 PM
UPS is what you want. And it will probubly cost you!

R.C. Hatter
02-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Just label the outside of the container "Ammunition for Small Arms" & ship UPS

KYCaster
02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
USPS will not ship ammo.

Fed Ex rates on ammo are outrageous...kinda like they don't want it.

UPS will ship it "UPS Ground" only, at the same rate as any other freight. It must have the "ORM-D Small Arms Cartridges" tag. Their pack-and-ship sattelite stores will not accept it, you have to take it to one of their hub stores...the closest one to me is at the Louisville airport, fifty miles away.

Other than the hassel of dealing with their uninformed counter help, it's no big deal.

Jerry

223tenx
02-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys. I probably don't have enough to make it worth while to try to sell it on the swapping and selling forum.

3rptr
02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Where is it? what exactly is it?
Sell it without shipping it to a local that might be willing to drive a ways.

223tenx
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
In addition to some loading equipment, I got 6 boxes of 22-250, 3 bxs of 7mm, 12 bxs of 223, 5 bxs 25-06, 500 rnds of 223 reloads with the load stamped on the boxes. 5-6 bxs 257R and several single bxs of different calibers.. There's a local GS on the 28th. I'll probably get a table. I also got a bunch of new unfired brass which I'll list here after the GS. I had seen some listing in the swap and sell forum for loaded ammo and wondered if you had to jump through hoops to ship it. With postage as high as it is you have to be careful how you box anything up or it eats any profit you may make. The last time I UPS'd a pistol (C&R) it cost me ~$65.