PDA

View Full Version : Lead Chewing Dog

Paladin 56
02-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Does anyone have, or have heard of, a dog that chews lead?

I have several hundred pounds of pure lead sheets that are about 8" x 12" x 1/8" that were used for shimming. For some reason, our dog really likes to chew on the stuff, or did until I found out about it. She hasn't had access to lead for a couple of years now, and seems to like WW's just as well, so I have to be careful about leaving anything laying around.

I haven't caught her digging up bullets in the backstop at the range but wouldn't put it past her.

If I could be sure she wouldn't eat WW's, maybe I could run her through the parking lot at wallyworld once or twice a week, but then I'd probably have to do something with her teeth.

Echo
02-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Good looking shorthair...

Paladin 56
02-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks.

She b the culprit.

shotman
02-15-2009, 02:15 AM
She has --CASTING FEVER-- I and others here have it too. will trade 150 boolits for her LOL rick /shotman

technetium-99m
02-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Lead acetate was used to sweeten wine many a moon ago. Could it be that the metal has a sweet taste when chewed?

GT

357maximum
02-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Lead acetate was used to sweeten wine many a moon ago. Could it be that the metal has a sweet taste when chewed?

GT

I used to carry split shot in my mouth while steelheading in the rivver. I do not remember a sweet taste just a mild metal taste, it was not a bad taste. The dog being more sensitive might think differently though. That is sure a nice looking dog, but she obviously cannot read the kalifornistan warnings on every packaging that comes from a gun store or china.

dmftoy1
02-15-2009, 07:00 AM
I've got a dog that chews on river rock . . . .I imagine that lead would be easier on the teeth. :)

madsenshooter
02-15-2009, 07:44 AM
My brother had a pitbull that loved to chew up aluminum cans. Biggest pit I ever saw! He'd wait for you to finish your can of whatever, drooling in anticipation of getting to destroy it. I looked in his mouth once, all his molars were silver from the cans. In time it effected his gait, and perhaps his vision as he wouldn't let me in the house once. We eventually had to have him put down as his hind legs weren't working right. Huge dog, after it "followed my brother home" the ex owners ran an ad saying it was of a breed used to hunt lions in Rhodesia.

homefront
02-15-2009, 08:45 AM
after it "followed my brother home" the ex owners ran an ad saying it was of a breed used to hunt lions in Rhodesia.

A Rhodesian Ridgeback, not a pit.
Nice pointer - Where'd he get the duck? There's still leaves on the trees!

NuJudge
02-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Many years ago I had a Poodle that would stealthily grab dropped cast bullets and take them off to chew them. It seemed to always be a 9mm, for what it's worth.

Chewing on Lead can't be good for the dog.

CDD

Bret4207
02-15-2009, 10:14 AM
We had a Golden Retriever that chewed rocks. Ruined her teeth.

bbs70
02-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a 3 year old Husky and a 1 1/2 yr old mixed breed mutt.
I had them at the vets office a couple of weeks ago for a check up.
They both seemed to like chewing on the branches of a couple of small saplings in my yard, but no other trees.
The vet said the reason was.
1. Dogs chew things that taste sweet to them.
OR
2. They are bored.

The Husky doesn't usually pick up anything unless he can eat it.
The mutt will pick up anything and chew on it, even poop.:confused:

skeet1
02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I have a pit bull X boxer mix that started chewing my ingots also. I don't think it was the ingots particularly she chewed on everything. Maybe that the lead was just soft enough for the to like (wheelweights).

Skeet1

Paladin 56
02-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Nice pointer - Where'd he get the duck? There's still leaves on the trees!

Thanks, she's a nut. The past few years the season started the end of September. October is a good time to see the leaves turn as well.

Chewing on Lead can't be good for the dog.

CDD

That's what I figure, and which is why we put the lead out of her reach when we discovered what she was doing.

1. Dogs chew things that taste sweet to them.

She's a choc-o-haulic, which isn't supposed to be good for dogs, and that could be a the sweet tooth thing. She can tell the difference between the sound of a bread wrapper and a bag of Nestles chocolate chips from across the house while in another room and I'm trying to be quiet. Or maybe she just smells the stuff as soon as the bag is opened.

2. They are bored.

As a pup she of course chewed on anything. Now she has her regulars, either chew bones, or the all time favorite, deer antlers.

Maybe that the lead was just soft enough for the to like (wheelweights).

Skeet1

I don't recall ever seeing her with wheel weights, but the pure lead sheets were what she really went after. Could be they were soft enough that it was just fun.

Nate1778
02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Squirrels chew on lead plumbing vent flashing on roofs. Now I have never interviewed a squirrel on the matter but I think it sharpens their teeth. Coarse your dog could just be trying to kill himself, you giving him the cheap food?

azcoyhunter
02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
this has nothing to do with anything but....

At work we have rodents that keep eating our CAT 5 (Copper) cables.

Also we have Porcupines biting holes in the Watering lines

Navahojoe
02-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Mine does not bother my lead or wheel weights. I have a 4 yr old Pit/English Bulldog cross that loves the lights on my boat trailer. The boat has to set where he has access to it. When I leave him at home, he gets PO ed and bites of all the trailer lights on my boat trailer. Stop light, turn lights and clearance lights. I replaced them nine times last year. Ive found it is much simpler to take him with me than spend 1/2 day and $50 replacing lights and wiring. His name is "Reno", (after the State of Nevada), and "Blue" because his eyes were blue the first six weeks of his life. Now his eyes are yellow, but, too late to change his name. He weighs 110 lbs and the vet calls him "Slim". Ha! He is so gentle that the Grandkids ride him and he knocks them down and licks them, but I have to muzzle when I take him to the Vet. Blue don't like the Vet, for some ungodly reason. Must be because he has given him so many shots.
regards,
NavahoJoe

Treetop
02-15-2009, 03:09 PM
When my 4 year old black Lab "Spooner" was a 5-6 month old pup, he found a mostly full bag of #9 shot under my reloading bench, took it out on the brick patio and chewed the bag open, scattering 18-20 lbs. of lead shot all over the brick and mortar patio!

I called the vet in a panic and he said not to worry, any lead ingested would pass through harmlessly.

The next problem was "how do we get all of that #9 shot off the patio?" After I made several futile attempts at tackling the job, Mrs. Treetop vacuumed them up while I was at work, then reclaimed them from the disposable vacuum bag for me, what a gal!

JeffinNZ
02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
When my 4 year old black Lab "Spooner" was a 5-6 month old pup, he found a mostly full bag of #9 shot under my reloading bench, took it out on the brick patio and chewed the bag open, scattering 18-20 lbs. of lead shot all over the brick and mortar patio!

I called the vet in a panic and he said not to worry, any lead ingested would pass through harmlessly.

Ever read/seen the movie "Marley and Me"? It all sounds familiar.

redneckdan
02-15-2009, 06:12 PM
She's a german short-hair pointer....that explains everything. My parents have one that will chase rocks that you throw in the water and then dive under and bring it back. The other one likes to go hunting...until you shoot a bird and then he just wants to go home....he will actually try to stick his whole head in your pants pocket....must be the noise.:roll:

Grampie not Grumpie
02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
My wife has an 18 mo. old basse thound that eats rocks! Small one pass on through; bigger ones she upchucks. One however got stuck in her small intestines. I am ashamed to admit what the vet bill was for surgery. She now roams the yard with a muzzle.

Grampie not Grumpie

TCLouis
02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
In one of my previous lives I had to do some work with lead "poisoning" (NOT of the high velocity kind).

Anyway supposedly one of the oxidation products of lead is sweet and kids/animals my suck or lick it for that reason. Never had the desire to taste any to find out.

redneckdan
02-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Lead Acetate, soluble in water and glycerin

JIMinPHX
02-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Lead acetate was used to sweeten wine many a moon ago. ?

GT

I thought that was lead sulfite. I seem to remember something about the ancient Romans doing that & it leading to lead poisoning.

That aside,
I have been told stories about people using lead cored dummy birds to train retrievers not to bite down too hard on birds that they recover in the field. Other than that, I have never heard of dogs chewing on lead.

madcaster
02-16-2009, 12:49 AM
You need to take that doggie on scouting trips to find more lead!

Paladin 56
02-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I was thinking of training her to pull WW's off of tires. Since she retrieves anyway, I could turn her loose in large parking lot, pull up a chair off to the side in the shade, and let her fill a bucket. I'd have a never ending supply and no one would suspect a dog.

Treetop
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Ever read/seen the movie "Marley and Me"? It all sounds familiar.

No, I haven't seen the movie yet, Jeff. I'll see if we can rent it.

lunicy
02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
My chocolate lab bites cars. I was walking him along the road. He is an obedient dog, but a car drove by and this car must have been something, cuz he wanted to chase it. (he don't usually chase cars.) I called him and made him heal. He must have been really upset with that because the very next car he walked by (parked), he bit the bumper. I was dumbfounded.

Paladin 56
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
And I thought my (actually my son's) dog chewing lead was abnormal. OTOH, maybe he was checking to see if the bumper was made of lead.

JIMinPHX
02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
My chocolate lab bites cars.

My little brother used to have a pit bull that liked to bite motorcycles. He bit a hole through the front tire on my dirt bike once. I've also seen him tear the exhaust pipe off of a sportster while it was running. That must have burned. That dog just didn't like bikes at all.