PDA

View Full Version : Another first smelting

RegCom7
02-15-2009, 12:10 AM
I did my first smelting of WW today and it was a success. :-D I used all the information I got from you guys here on the Cast Boolits site. I fluxed a few times with candle wax, and that seemed to get it really clean. If I understand correctly, the wrinkly stuff floating on the top in this first pic is the tin from the WW? It went into the muffin tins with the rest of the melt. I accidentally let the temp get up as high as 825 degrees, but then I turned it down a little. I think I had picked out the only zinc wheelweight in the bucket, so I don't think any zinc got into the melt. I didn't see any 'oatmeal' floating on top anyway. I plan to cast my first bullets next weekend. I blackened the muffin tins over a fire, and none of the ingots stuck.

docone31
02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
It really is simple, and satisfying. Watching molten metal to me is a joy.
Tin melts lower than lead, the scales were described in the Lyman's book as antimony, at least if I remember correctly.
They look good and frosted. Should be a good mix to cast with.
I like to make a "melt pie" with what I cannot get out of my pot. I use it to planish on. A lead pad comes in handy. Later on, when I get more to melt, I put that in the pot and crank it up.
Looks good, didn't see any Tinsel Fairy.
So far so good.

imashooter2
02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Congrats on your smelt. A nice pile of ingots is one of life's simple pleasures.

That's an awful lot of pot for a Coleman stove. Be careful you don't overload it.

jnovotny
02-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Great job and a nice pile of ingots, welcome to a new world.

RegCom7
02-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Next time I'm going to put some bricks or something under the grill, for extra support. I didn't fill the pot this time because I was worried about the weight. But I didn't have any splatters or tinsel fairy. :)

Chunky Monkey
02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Lookin good RegCom7!! :drinks:

Seeing all these posts of you guys makes me want to get out and smelt what I've accumualted over the winter. I'm just waiting for some warmer weather! :coffee: