PDA

View Full Version : size of hollow point

BT Sniper
02-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Looking for the optimum size and style hollow point. Any relation to the size or style of hollow point and the jackets ability to stay intact with the core. How about expansion? I know there must be 100 variables. I have found that with a jacket that extends all the way to the tip I have more seperations than when alittle lead is exposed at the tip. The bullets I tryied this with had no notches in the jacket and may have somthing to do with it.

More Latter got to go,

Brian

MIBULLETS
02-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Brian, I'm no expert on this, but I have noticed that when the lead extends beyond the jacket in a non bonded bullet, the lead seems to wrap around the end of jacket and hold on to it some.

Also, when you have lead on the end, the actual opening in the jacket is usually larger so it will expand somewhat faster. At least this is what I have noticed.

Dan

BT Sniper
02-15-2009, 04:28 PM
My findings as well. Thanks Dan. Didn't think about the dia of the jacket being larger at the opening when lead is exposed at the tip. Had to picture it in my head and now it makes sence as the jacket is reduced in dia less from not extending up the point.

How about depth of hollow point? A short fat hollow cavity compaired to a long skinny one?
How about one in tiers like an upside down wedding cake? Just experimenting here sence any style is possible. What would you guys like to see?

MIBULLETS
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I would think that the bigger hole would leave less material at the edge of the hole and make it expand easier. The deeper the hole the further back the expansion might go with the initial impact. Possibly make a wider wound channel too. You could probably go to the extreme with a big deep hollow cavity, but I think there will be a point where accuracy will suffer from a weight distribution perspective. There is the fun part, with swaging you can try it all and find out what works best.

Dan

BT Sniper
02-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Braved the snow and did some shooting. Testing designs it seems I am from one extreem to the other with some expansion and alot of expansion. I'll try to find an inbetween. I think a cannelure grove just might delay the brass petels from folding back as far as they did. Next design will have the large hollow point with notched jacket and alittle lead exposed at tip. Will also try with the trumpet shaped hollow point but add notched jacket.

The notched bullet was shot into a 5 gallon bucket of wet clay followed by a bucket of wet newspaper. The other was shot into the wet newspaper alone.

Will keep testing and keep you updated.

Good shooting,

Brian

Southern Son
02-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Brian,
Great stuff, really interesting and fantastic photos. The trupet shaped hollow point with notches will be interesting, the ones above only seems ta have expanded to the point that the jacket returned to the shape of the original brass. I have to say that if I pulled that third one out of a pig, I would be REALLY happy with that kind of expansion. it would have to be close to .600"

BT Sniper
02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Forgot to mention these are 250 grain 44 cal at 1300 fps. I'm still working on the perfect combo of jacket length and size of hollow point.

5 points if you can tell me what is different about the riffling on these bullets as compared to 90% of all the rest of the bullets shot from todays guns.

MIBULLETS
02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Left hand twist??

BT Sniper
02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Well that didn't take long. Don't know of may left hand twist barrels out there. I'll have to look up the history of the AMP but I belive the idea was that it was to help with the recoil operated operation of the bolt.

5 points to Dan

MIBULLETS
02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Brian, from your pictures, it looks like the bullet with notches expanded more. Is that what you are seeing? The bullet in the 3rd and 4th pictures looks like its jacket tore apart very uniformly like it was folowing the notches you made. Looks good. :drinks:

BT Sniper
02-17-2009, 07:28 PM
What better way to gather data then shooting? Seems I'm going in right direction. Some lead exposed at top of bullet helps keep jacket intact. Lost most of the jackets from the core when the jacket extended all the way to top of bullet. Only a small notch is needed in the jacket to start the expansion of the jacket. Both hollow points seemed to work good. I'll have to do a better job of seperating the two as I mixed up the retrieved bullets and can't tell between them. I'll use different makes of factory jackets to tell in the future.

Starting weight was 253 grains and retrieved these 3 all @ 230+ grains.

Doesn't seem to need a cannelure grove to limit the jacket from expanding.

These were not bonded.

Will be testing for accuracy next.

BT Sniper
02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Shot these 3 in wet paper, cardboard, newspaper, and magazines. Basicly all of our paper recycling bunched together that has been out in the rain all year. The same test media that seperated the jacket from the core of the bullets with jacket extending to tip. I will have to test the factory bullets to compare.

Also thought of something... to get the lead exposed at tip the jacket must be shorter. I don't trim it I just compress it along with the core in the core seating step. For the XTP looking bullets I just compress the core, leaving the jacket long.

This compressed jacket is somewhat thicker maybe helping to slow the peeling of the jacket.

To be continued.....

BT Sniper
02-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Sucess with the plastic tip. Should be interesting:-D Will try them out soon.

As it seems with this post........ to be continued.

Good shooting,

Brian

BT Sniper
02-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Striving to duplicate all Hornady products I guess. I supose I could have made the tip red:-D

357maximum
02-18-2009, 02:52 AM
How do you fight the temptation to put some lube in the old extractor groove??[smilie=1:

That is a cool project you have going.....KEWL :)

BT Sniper
02-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Never thought of that. You supose it would help? I started out swaging bullets insted of cast boolits so don't have the equipment. If I did I may have all ready tried it.

Now you got me thinking.....Anyone know if this would do anything? Volocity, pressure, less fouling, I don't know? Now days all the nonlead rifle bullets have these groves too. You supose it has been tried?