PDA

View Full Version : Brass

Beekeeper
02-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I have a chance to aquire a 30 gallon trash can of range brass.
It is a lot of mixed calibers, even some 7.62x54R steel case berdan primer.
I didn't dig into the barrel but could see 223,308, 9 MM 45 ACP and a bunch I could not identify by sight.
Would it be cost effective to buy?
What would a reasonable offer be?
Would it even be worthwhile to buy?

Any feedback pro or con would be appreciated.

beekeeper

Leftoverdj
02-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Call your local scrap yard and ask what they are paying for scrap brass. Offer half that. The steel case stuff is essentially worthless, and time, mileage, and sorting are worth something.

KW Gary M
02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Sounds like it could be a great score. I usually just bring a few gallon sized Zip Locks in my range bag. I try to fill one every time I go to the range. The stock pile builds pretty well that way and it's free.

Tom Herman
02-15-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm amazed at what fired brass goes for at gun shows. Of course, the more work you put into it (tumbling, sorting as to caliber, nickled/brass, manufacturer), the more you can get for it in the long run.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Echo
02-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Our range has gotten close to $2/lb for brass (no steel, no Al), and they also sell the steel and Al, but don't know what they got. Or are getting now. Offer .50/lb - can hardly go wrong at that price, but check locally...

New addition: They are only getting .40/lb now! So ask for a price - if too high, make an alternate (lower) offer. If accepted,go for it. I would offer .20/lb...

dmftoy1
02-15-2009, 07:04 AM
FWIW - our local range charges .04 per empty if you want to dig in the range barrel.

ciPeterF
02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Prior to year end, we were getting $1.40 for relatively clean brass (no paper, dirt, etc).. but with the downturn, it's now $0.50.. so I'd offer them $15-20 bucks a five gallon pail, or $100 to save them haulage and take it all away. Might seems low, but it's not easy to sort and clean than much brass.

mike in co
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Prior to year end, we were getting $1.40 for relatively clean brass (no paper, dirt, etc).. but with the downturn, it's now $0.50.. so I'd offer them $15-20 bucks a five gallon pail, or $100 to save them haulage and take it all away. Might seems low, but it's not easy to sort and clean than much brass.

this is close, esp if there is still steel and al in the mix.

scrap clean brass peaked at about 2.30 a lb last year, and with in a week of the comodities market falling right after the stock market it went to 50 cents.....it has come up a little.
the 2 dollars mention in a earlier post is not in tune with todays market.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

PS...i did forget to mention...only if it is once fired....all else is just scrap. i have one open public range under contract, it allows basically any ammo. while most of thier shooters shoot new( either brass, al or steel) ammo, there is a fair amount of reloaded ammo shot there. in my biz this raises cost in labor to sort, and scrap rate. i do not know what people shoot at your range, but it is something to consider. that 7x57 might be tired, used up brass.

Beekeeper
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Mike in Colorado,
Is there a good way of inspecting bdass to tell if it is "once fired" or not?
I am thinking I will buy the 30 gal trashcan of brass and clean it and store it as trading goods later on when I need something.
Will get it and store in sealed 5 gal. buckets but want to cull it first!

beekeeper

Beekeeper
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
For what it's worth I am following Buckshots sugestion and passing on the brass.
It is more hastle than it is worth to me as I have plenty of brass for all of the weapons I shoot.
I will follow the example of my old rock collecting buddy and" leverite " there.
If anyone in socal wants it PM me and I will tell you where it is.

beekeeper

mike in co
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Mike in Colorado,
Is there a good way of inspecting bdass to tell if it is "once fired" or not?
I am thinking I will buy the 30 gal trashcan of brass and clean it and store it as trading goods later on when I need something.
Will get it and store in sealed 5 gal. buckets but want to cull it first!

beekeeper

well its a skilll.......loking for less than new bright finish, marks from being resized, non std primers..

since most of my brass is once fired , new indoor it is very easy to id the suspects.
at one outdoor range, they only use new...no reloaded ammo at all( well black hills remanufactured 223, which is like new ) so it is not an issue.
i recently picked up another outdoor range, and it is a problem. thier brass dulls quickly, they use salt in the winter. while we do sort it, we scrap a lot. i perfer to scrap over selling questionable brass.
i do not sort 40 s&w,38's 357's....too smalll too much work too little profit.
i do do 9mm occassionally...cause i have a tool that works for 9, and 380.
my main line is 45acp as in aprox 50-100k per month and 223 at 10-40k per month.

mike in co