PDA

View Full Version : Casting session today

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I fired up my Rapine 20 lb pot today with soft lead to cast some roundball. I have had this for a while but havent used it enough to feel comfortable with it. I cranked it up on high to get it melted and topped it off with ingots, fluxed and checked temp. It was about 700, so I let it heat a while. I started casting 2 hole .440s in a Lee mold. I started getting really good looking balls after a couple casts. They got better each cast and they started looking like polished ball bearings. I didnt want to stop, but I finally checked my temp again and I was about 950! I started bumping it down and keeping an eye on it. I was ladle pouring with this also. If I do this with WW alloy they frost like crazy. What is a good temp for soft lead? I also cast some 1" cannon balls with the same batch after the temp dropped to around 850 and these dropped nice, but were frosted and out of a brass mold.

mooman76
02-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Pure lead likes hotter temp. Usually you can just crank it. if it gets too hot you will know so you just drop the temp some.